commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
R G Freke 11Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
P E M Bird
Forum Member

As a new member l,was hoping someone might be able to help me in my research on 5572722 Ronald George Freke Wilts Regt and 11 commando. I have masses of paperwork and have gleaned he was wounded in action and captured in Operation Exporter, spent time in a lot of different hospitals and was then released. Letters he sent home listed the following units which mean not a lot to me! June 1941- 'c' batt Lay Force 11 th Scottish Commando 1.11.42 with PAIF 11.2.42- D squad 1st SS Regt MEF. My questions are what is the last unit mentioned, are there any rolls for troops for the Flipper raid, and finally what did he do next? I have his old comrades memberships for the Wiltshire Regt, the Army Commandos and the Parachute Regt and I know he was commissioned in Dec 1944, to what Regt l do not know. If anybody can flesh this mans story out l would be most grateful.many thanks in anticipation,
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This text is taken from the site of an auction house where some of his items were for sale in 2010. Is this where you got the papers or are you related ?:

The son of W G A Freke RAF, Ronald Freke was in the Wiltshires prior to becoming a Commando. A Yeovil man who served in the Wilts before taking both Parachute and Commando training. A POW of the Vichy French and wounded in the head in 1941. Original letter from the Red Cross states. Hospital Militaire, Beirut, Syria 19/6/1941. Dear All, Am a French POW. Cheek and shoulder wounds healing well. Officers release book and service book, Telegram and War Office letters, buttons Boys Brigade badges, dog tags and Life Saving medal named to R G Freke (Baptist). Released with the rank of Lt in 1946 back into Civilian life, where he took up flying Gliders and boating. No knowledge of what happened to his medals or if he claimed them from the family. Presumably 1939/45/Africa/Italy?/France and Germany Stars. Defence and War Medals.

1st Special Service Regiment was formed from the Middle East Commandos and survived as a unit until the beginning of 1943

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/11/2012 19:13:00

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
P E M Bird
Forum Member

Thanks Pete for info, l did not buy this at auction although l knew it was originally sold at Crewkerne . I originally thought that SS was SAS but I am inclined to think it stands for Special Service Batt, is this also known as SAS?.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi (what is your first name by the way)

There were many different Special Service (SS) unit names, some not lasting for very long before the name was changed. The one you refer to is as I referred to above - 1st Special Service Regiment. When formed from the Middle East Commandos, they operated in the Middle East as did other Special forces units such as the SIG, L Detachment SAS, the LRDG, and 11th RM Bn.

I would recommend a visit to the National Archives to research these units, but there are many books which give information, one being Charles Messengers The Middle East Commando

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Best
Forum Member

If this is the same Ron Freke that I am thinking of I know a bit about what he did after the war. My family are from Yeovil and he is connected with my dad Norman Best (Lt F.N.Best) who served in the SBS in Burma. Ron Freke owned a glove factory with Jack Gifford called Freke and Gifford in Yeovil where my dad worked until he died in 1986. I had no idea of his history but I knew him and sometimes played in the works skittles team with Ron, Jack and my dad before I went to university in the early 70s. My cousin and mum may have some more information.
What is your connection with Ron?
Regards
Bill Best
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Curiously I have him listed in the No11 Nominal Roll, that I'm helping to compile, as L/Cpl 'Fred' Freke.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1690.page#6892

The name Fred bears no relation to his given names but this is a common occurance with nicknames, especially those given by/to members of the Armed Forces.

Anyway thank you for giving us the extra info so that I am now able to amend Ron's entry.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/11/2012 16:22:49

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
McHarg
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Reg Harmer DCM (11 Scottish Commando and Wiltshire Regiment) told me during an interview a few years ago that Ronnie Freke was among the men billeted next door to him in Lamlash.

Reg was billeted with Jessie Taylor's mother and I'm sure that Jessie would be able to provide some information on Ronnie Freke.

Regards,

Ian
[WWW]
Bill Best
Forum Member

I've attached a letter from Ron Freke to my Dad, Norman Best (Lt SBS) which was written in Feb 1947 to him while he was at gunnery school at Manorbier. In this letter Ron refers to the problems they have been having getting leather, cotton, the weather, the flu and the labour government.
The initials on the letter head W.G.A Freke ( Ron's father) and R.G Freke confirm that this is the same Ron Freke that you are enquiring about.
It appears that gunnery school involved alot of form filling!
I hope this is of interest.
Regards
Bill Best
 Filename P1:Freke & Gifford 13.02.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description P1 Letter 13th Feb 1947 Ron Freke
 Filesize 3231 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  434 time(s)

Filename P2: Freke & Gifford.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description P2 same
 Filesize 2277 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  346 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger