commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Badge on Breast Pocket?  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
GUY
Forum Member

I have noticed a badge on the breast pocket of a Commando which I wondered if anyone could explain?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+cdo+fallen/Lance+Sergeant+Hughes.jpg.html

Thanks in advance

Guy
[Thumb - Badge.png]
 Filename Badge.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  476 time(s)

GUY
Forum Member

I have added a variant found on another Commando's uniform.
mike beckett
Forum Member

Guy - very interesting in deed - PM Sent. Thanks Paul for drawing my attention to this - quite a mystery! - Mike
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

At this resolution, it looks to me like one animal standing on another animal's back. Eg a fox on a bear. We need a higher resolution version of the photo.

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Guy

Can you post the full, or link to, the cropped photo please? It would be interesting to see where and when that was taken to see if there is any pattern
thanks

Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Intersting Guy,

I also can not make out what badge he is wearing on his side cap, looks like a bullon badge.
Any thoughts?

Cheers,

JB
GUY
Forum Member

Thank you for the replies.

Both photographs are 3 Commando, taken in 1941.

The best resolution is found on the Hughes photograph, in the gallery. It will increase in size when clicked. The bullion cap badge looks like a Beds and Herts badge.

The second photograph, which shows the Commando who has been "awarded" the badge twice (they appear to be pinned one over the other) is a scan from the original, which is not in my possession. That is the the highest resolution I can offer at the moment. He is the only Commando in the group with this badge. Hughes and this Trooper are the only two Commando's I have seen with this badge.

I will seek permission to share the photograph.

Guy
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Guy

It almost looks like the polar bear (minus the iceberg) from the 49th (West Riding) division. Not that that explains anything!!

Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I asked Roy Maxwell of 4 Commando about this badge, he didn't know, but in general, he recalls some French No. 4 Commandos wearing badges on their right breast.
However in this case the Commando is British, so the mystery remains.

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

mike beckett
Forum Member

I understand that any badge worn by British personnel on the breast pocket of battledress would be unofficial. It begs the question whether it may be some form of 'good luck' charm worn only for the purpose of the photograph (not officially accepted in the unit) - though this explanation may appear a little limp. Yes in deed, certain members of No10 Cdo did wear nationality related insignia on their breast pocket, the French in particular (including during secondment etc to other Commandos). Regards Mike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/10/2012 21:50:05

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger