commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Jack Victor Raymond Rogers  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
carlosrocha
Forum Member

Hi wonder if someone may be able to help with some info and advice.

My Mothers fiancee was helping out an old couple he knew. Sadly the Mr Rogers passed away. He is now helping his widow to sort through his belonging. As far as we can make out Mr Rogers was a Commando service number 161251 (though on another doc there is a number of R(or maybe K)151251. From conversations they had before he died he took place in over 30 landings in WW2 both in europe and asia.

We would like to know a bit more info on his service record but not sure where to investigate (I've done research on WW1 veterans in my family but am a novice when it come to WW2).

They also have his medals and we were wondering whether they would be best placed in a museum and, if so, where?

Any help would be appreciated.
Carlos
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Carlos

First of all please pass on our condolences to Mrs Rogers on her loss. Would you please contact me on my email address below ( also shown on the CVA Contact Us section) and I will make some enquiries about Jack Rogers (no relation to me as far as I know)

Regards

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi carlos,
Welcome to the CVA.
Whilst Pete is making enquiries may I answer another of your questions regarding museums.

The CVA is very excited about the new Commando Exhibition in the West Highland Museum in Fort William which is due to be officialy opened in November.
Fort William has very strong connections with The Commandos as it is the largest town near Achnacarry, where the Commandos carried out their training, and it is Fort William that the Commando Veterans hold their Annual Gathering for Remembrance Sunday.

Nick
[Thumb - Cdo Exhibition; West Highland Museum0001.jpg]
 Filename Cdo Exhibition; West Highland Museum0001.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1931 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  375 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/10/2012 23:15:24

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
carlosrocha
Forum Member

Dear Pete & Nick
Thank you both for your responses! Pete - emailed you as requested.

Nick - do you think the West Highland Museum would be happy to have the medals and include them in their display? My mothers fiancee told me that Mr Rogers did indeed mention training near to Fort William. He couldn't remember the name of the town Mr Rogers mentioned but we both recalled seeing a TV programme on the Commandos which included mention of their training location but Achnacarry rings a bell.

Hopefully if Pete manages to find further info we will have a story to go with the medals.

I've also asked my Mothers fiancee if there are any photos of Mr Rogers dating to the war or around that time.
Regards
Carlos
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Carlos

I am sending you an email in response to yours which covers the aspect of the West Highland Museum as well as other matters

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Sadly Carlos advises us that Jack's widow died in June having been taken ill not long after Jack himself died. Carlos has sent some items in and we are looking for any help.

Anyone recognise the blue shoulder patch with Pegasus wings and ships wheel - probably something to do with Normandy Landings. Jack served in the Royal Marines and by the looks of things also at some stage in the RM Commandos. He served on HMS Delhi for the Anzio and Salerno landings, and from his medals took part in the Arctic Convoys. He appears to have an MiD on one of the medals

[Thumb - DSC_0850 copy.jpg]
 Filename DSC_0850 copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Jack and his wife Laura - sadly both now deceased
 Filesize 158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  337 time(s)

[Thumb - 11 copy.jpg]
 Filename 11 copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Insignia of Jack Victor Raymond Rogers
 Filesize 283 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  347 time(s)

[Thumb - DSC_0911 copy.jpg]
 Filename DSC_0911 copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Medlas of Jack Victor Raymond Rogers
 Filesize 306 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  364 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/08/2013 23:46:01

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Additionally any information on this medal which was issued to him in 2004 along with a document from the Russian Government certifying it as the 60th Commemorative medal :

[Thumb - Medal reverse with name and number.jpg]
 Filename Medal reverse with name and number.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 378 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  349 time(s)

[Thumb - DSC_0916 copy.jpg]
 Filename DSC_0916 copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 502 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  351 time(s)

[Thumb - 3 copy.jpg]
 Filename 3 copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 185 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  364 time(s)

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Some more of Jack's things. On the Anzio certificate Jack was asked to fill in his own details and I see he has put RN
[Thumb - DSC_0834 copy.jpg]
 Filename DSC_0834 copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Anzi Certificate
 Filesize 231 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  330 time(s)

[Thumb - DSC_0875 copy.jpg]
 Filename DSC_0875 copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Jacks other badges and medals
 Filesize 284 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  353 time(s)

[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Carefully considering the nature of Jacks effect's I would certainly recommend contact with the Royal Marine's Museum at Southsea. Their contact details are as follows:

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/about-us

I would ask if either a member of museum staff, or alternatively the Royal Marines Historical Society can shed any light on things, and whether they have any records/advice to draw upon.

Jack's service appears extremely varied and it may be worthwhile applying for his service papers - there is guidance on this CVA site, see this link

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

However, the RM Museum may be able to give initial thoughts. I may be wrong, but it looks like any Commando service is a small part of Jack's story, particularly given the Russian medals. As Pete notes, it is interesting that Jack has 'Royal Navy' on his Anzio Certificate. The Russian medal appears to be inscribed MN RN on the reverse - strengthening the Merchant Navy, or Royal Navy connection. If he was a Royal Marine (not certain at this stage) I would not discount the possibility he served some time as a 'Ships' Marine. I understood 'Ships' Marines undertook such duties as manning 'X' turret on larger ships, as well as a host of other potential activities. The Royal Marine Museum would know more.

Mike

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 12/08/2013 16:56:48

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Mike

Thank you for this. I had advised Carlos in an email to do the same re contacts and service records. I note you say
I understood 'Ships' Marines undertook such duties as manning 'X' turret on larger ships
In a letter written post war he describes exactly that whilst on HMS Delhi at Anzio
I was in gunnery position below decks

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/08/2013 17:55:59

[Email]
Drogers
Forum Member

I've joined this simply to reply to this string of messages. Jack and Laura died in 2013 and didn't have children. Sadly, I didn't know them. Their medals with certificates and other items passed to my Father, Jack's younger brother. My Father died late 2020 and the medals have passed to me. Still sat in the box they went to my Father in, I aim to have them professionally framed together with their photograph.
Please be reassured they these are kept together and will stay in the family. I have left them to my nephew, also a Rogers and currently serving in the Royal Navy. Also my Grandfather's (Jack's Father) medals from WW1 and China War / relief of Peking and my own Father's medals from the Falklands conflict.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger