commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Rogers Rangers  XML
Forum Index » Association Newsletter
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Have just received issue 25 of Dispatches which mentions Rogers Rangers.
My youngest daughter lives in Queensbury upstate New York a few miles south of Lake George, I have visited Rogers Rock (which is on the northern shores of Lake George) and the remains of his fort/camp. A few miles further north is Fort Ticondaroga (junction of two waterways) which is situated between Lake George and Lake Champlain and a very important site during the seven year war.
We are heading State-side mid-November as our daughter is expecting our second (US) grandson and will take photos of the rock and forts.

Another interesting fact, whilst visiting Saratoga there was a civil war re-enactment and we were told that Union soldiers had to have at least three opposing teeth i.e. (two in the top, one below or two below and one up top), whilst the Confederate Army only needed one opposing tooth.
Have a guess why??

I also include a picture of Daniel Boon's rifle, Boon's descendant pictured is the owner of the quarry where my son in law is employed.
[Thumb - DSCI0818.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0818.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Rifle 1
 Filesize 1231 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  881 time(s)

[Thumb - DSCI0832.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0832.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Fort Ticonderoga
 Filesize 1263 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  907 time(s)

[Thumb - DSCI0819.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0819.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Daniel Boon (left) me right
 Filesize 1215 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  903 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/09/2012 22:00:27

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Have found more pictures
[Thumb - DSCI0817.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0817.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Rille 2
 Filesize 1296 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  902 time(s)

[Thumb - DSCI0828.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0828.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Ticonderoga looking south Lake George and Rogers Rock
 Filesize 1261 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  897 time(s)

[Thumb - DSCI0827.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0827.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Ticonderoga
 Filesize 1262 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  894 time(s)

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you for the issue that I received this morning!

I know why Union soldiers had to have certain teeth still 'available' ... but not sure about why the Confederates didn't need as many.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
Reading your message reminded me of something that my father told me concerning Rodgers Rangers, more specifically the film that was made about this pioneering soldier. The film was called the "Northwest Passage" and starred Spencer Tracy in the title role. I remember my father telling me that during his time with No1 Cmdo that they were told to watch this film a number of times as the qualities that were demonstrated by Rogers and his Rangers were eactly the same as those required for the Commandos ie resourcefulness, ability to live off the land, indepedent thinking and tenacity.

Cheers Andy

Ps The film is actually very good, Rogers is actually a hero the survival expert Ray Mears who dedicated a programme from one of his recent documentary series to this historical figure.
See attached link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wufppTptb2g

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 29/09/2013 14:53:29

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'll try and get hold of a copy of this - I'll have seen it already but it'll be extra-interesting now.

As we're talking about the current issue ... may I ask how I go about buying a scarf and beret? No item numbers listed and I'd love the scarf for November.

I'll leave the beret at home. )

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Association Newsletter
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger