commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
14th September 1942 - Operation Agreement  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have been sent the attached photo which is an embroidery with the names of men from 11th RM Battalion who took part, and whom many of the named were killed, in Operation Agreement. This was a an operation involving the 11th RM Bn. who were to make a landing from destroyers near north of the harbour at Tobruk. Additional units included the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders and Northumberland Fusiliers, I SBS, SIG, and 1 SS Regiment ( which included men from Layforce) and the LRDG. the raid did not go to plan and there were many casualties and prisoners.

Our thanks to John Forsey, a collector, who sent us this photo, and although the 11th were not Commandos as such, it is only fitting that such an item be displayed and the men remembered. To date I have found the following names from this embroidery on the CWGC database:

In Memory of

Sgt. Alfred Reginald George (Reg) Dray, 11th RM Bn., aged 26, Fayid War Cemetery
Mne. Leslie Victor Rogers, 11th RM Bn., aged 19, Chatham Naval Memorial
Mne. Stanley George Bartholomew, R.M. Group, M.N.B.D.O. (1), Plymouth Naval Memorial
Mne. William Charles Taylor, 11th. Bn. R.M. Group, M.N.B.D.O.1, Plymouth Naval Memorial
Mne. Norman Gordon Hardy, 11th RM Bn., aged 20, Chatham Naval Memorial
Cpl. Fred Carter, R.M. Group, M.N.B.D.O.(I), aged 24, Plymouth Naval Memorial
Mne John Waterman, Royal Marines, Plymouth Naval Memorial
Mne Fred Winters, 11th Bn. R.M. Group, M.N.B.D.O.1, aged 24, Plymouth Naval Memorial
Mne. George Cornelius Butler, 11th Bn. R.M. Group, M.N.B.D.O.1, Plymouth Naval Memorial
Mne. Reginald John Greenough, Royal Marines, aged 24, Tobruk War Cemetery
Mne. George William Charles Abraham, Royal Marines, Tobruk War Cemetery
Mne. Joseph Chisholm, Royal Marines, aged 25, Tobruk War Cemetery
L/Cpl. George Charles Alfred Pogmore, 11th RM Bn., Tobruk War Cemetery
Mne. Leonard Reginald Brown, Royal Marines, aged 20, Portsmouth Naval Memorial
Cpl. William George Harman, Royal Marines, aged 20, Chatham Naval Memorial
Mne. Robert Reginald Reeves, Royal Marines, aged 18, Chatham Naval Memorial
Mne. George Jones, 11th RM Bn., aged 28, Chatham Naval Memorial

The above are the only exact matches that I can find

[Thumb - 11th RM BN 3 inch Mortar Platoon..jpg]
 Filename 11th RM BN 3 inch Mortar Platoon..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 11th RM BN. 3" Mortar Platoon. Courtesy of John Forsey
 Filesize 444 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  967 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 20/02/2018 19:55:12

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Stephen has discovered the name of his Uncle Reg on this embroidery. We now know his full name was Sgt. Alfred Reginald George (Reg) Dray, 11th RM Bn. and I have added his details to the list.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Dray
Forum Member

Hi Pete thanks so much for the response. I am looking for any information about my Uncle Reg member of 11th Battalion and listed on the tapestry. Reg was captured at Tobruk and we believe he was possibly taken to Italy. Somehow he was released, possibly some kind of exchange, and returned to Egypt. Unfortunately while travelling to an airstrip in Egypt he was killed in an accident on 17th April 1943 age 26.
I am particularly trying to solve exactly how he died. My sisters say he was traveling on a motorbike but rode into the propellor of the plane he was about to board. However I remember my mum and dad (who both served in WWII) saying that he was in a lorry that went over a mine.
If anyone has any information about him of any type I would love to know. I have photos and many letters he sent to my dad from the start of the war which I am happy to share. Sadly no one has ever visited his grave and its something I am determined to do. Any help/ info about him greatly appreciated.
GUY
Forum Member

Stephen,
Confirmation of the accident and cause of death.

[Thumb - DRAY.png]
 Filename DRAY.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 118 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  768 time(s)

Stephen Dray
Forum Member

Guy, thank you so much for this
Regards
Stephen

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger