commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Medal  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello :D

Everyone has their views on the wearing and awarding of medals of one form or another. I have read the post about "chocolate box decorations" and the view expressed mentions commemorative medals that are not officially issued or recognised by HM Government.

When we compare the medals issued during the second world war and those issued since, you can see an imbalance of due recognition to those who served in WW2.

Would one describe all the awards from the UN and NATO as "chocolate box decorations" ? Just see the list below of where they are awarded.

I am in no way devalueing the merit of these awards or their recipients, but I want to highlight the indifferernce and lack of due recognition to the service of those who served in WW2. For a WW2 veteran to get due recognition of their sacrifice, they and their dependants are left with no option but to apply for "commemerative medals" to show that they did serve in these areas of conflict.

Apart from my Dads official medals I have purchased the Dunkirk Medal (he was there), Allied Ex Prisoners of War Medal (captured at Dieppe) and British Forces Medal Germany (BAOR 1950's)..call them chocolate box decorations if you want, but in his memory he deserves the recognition by what ever means, even if HM Gov dept wants to ignore it.

The point I am getting to is, should we start a campaign to have a Commando/Combined Operations medal struck and recognised by HM Gov dept?

Below you will find a list of medals that are post war and all officially recognised. Using the plethora of UN & Nato medals issued for Yugoslavia/Balkans as an example, a request for formal recognition of Commando service that saw action over the whole of Europe during a World War would not be asking too much....or would it?

Historic Medals issued post-World War II
Numerous Medals have been issued after World War II to recognise service in wars, conflicts and operations around the world.

Service in many of the conflicts has been recognised with award of a Clasp to the General Service Medal, for example the Clasp 'Air Operations Iraq' which was issued to those on operations in support of patrolling the No-fly Zone of Iraq bewteen 1991 and 2003.

For service in wars and large-scale confilcts, single, stand-alone medals have often been issued, for example the South Atlantic Medal for service in the Falklands War in 1982. In some of these cases a Clasp was also issued with the medal to those who had served in the most dangerous areas during the most hostile period. Those who served in Theatres of Operations in specified areas during the actual period of hostilities during the 1990-91 Gulf War, were awarded the Clasp inscribed '16 Jan to 28 Feb 1991' with their Gulf Medal.

Medals have also been issued by NATO and the United Nations for service on NATO and UN operations. These medals then require approval for wear which is granted formally by the Queen if it has been recommended by the Defence Services Secretariat. A number of NATO Medals issued for service in the Balkans from 1992 onwards are approved for wear.

The OSM
The new Operational Service Medal (OSM) was introduced on 1 January 2000 and at the same time the General Service Medal (GSM) was discontinued, with the exception of the award of the GSM for Northern Ireland.

Since its introduction, three OSMs have been issued: for service in Sierra Leone, Afghanistan and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Although each OSM will look the same, separate ribbons will denote each separate award. A Clasp may be awarded with the OSM to signify service in a more dangerous area or period of conflict.

The Gulf Medal (1990-91)
Medal
Cupro-nickel and circular in shape. The obverse of the medal shows the crowned effigy of Queen Elizabeth. The reverse bears a modern 'combined operations' badge surrounded by the words 'The Gulf Medal' and the dates '1990-91'.

Clasp
Two Clasps were awarded, one bearing the dates '16 Jan to 28 Feb 1991' and the other '2 Aug 1990'. When the ribbon alone is worn, a silver rosette denotes award of the Clasp.

Qualifying criteria
The Medal with Clasp '16 Jan to 28 Feb 1991' was awarded for seven days continuous service in the Theatre of Operations as defined in the regulations between these dates, which signify the dates of the actual war.
The Medal with Clasp '2 Aug 1990' was awarded to the members of the Kuwait Liaison Team who were in Kuwait on this date.
The Medal alone was awarded for 30 days continuous service in the Area of Operations as defined in the regulations between 2 August 1990 and 7 March 1991.
Foreign Awards for the Gulf War
The Governments of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia struck and issued medals to the Allied personnel who had taken part in the liberation of Kuwait. Known as the Kuwaiti Liberation Medal and the Saudi Arabian Medal for the Liberation of Kuwait, permission was granted for British service personnel to accept, but not wear, the medals.

The South Atlantic Medal (Awarded for the Falklands War 1982)
Medal
Cupro-nickel and circular in shape. The obverse of the medal shows the crowned effigy of Queen Elizabeth. The reverse bears a representation of the coat of arms of the Falkland Islands, surrounded by the words 'South Atlantic Medal' and a laurel wreath.

Clasp
No Clasp issued though a rosette was awarded to be worn on the ribbon for those who served for 1 day between 2 Apr and 14 Jun 1982 within certain specified geographical boundaries.

Qualifying criteria
The Medal with distinguishing rosette was awarded for 1 days' service in the Falkland Islands or their dependencies or in the South Atlantic, south of 35° South and north of 60° South, or for 1 operational sortie south of Ascension Island, between 2 April and 14 June 1982.
The Medal alone was awarded for 30 days continuous or accumulated service in the South Atlantic, south of 7° South and north of 60° South, commencing between 2 April and 14 June 1982 and completing no later than 12 July 1982.

United Nations & NATO Medals
Permission to accept and wear the following awards has been given:

a. United Nations Medal for service with:
(i) UNFICYP (Cyprus): 27 Mar 64 to date to be decided.
(ii) UNTAG (Namibia): 01 Apr 89 to 31 Mar 90.
(iii) UNIKOM (Iraq/Kuwait): 01 Apr 91 to 06 Oct 03.
(iv) MINURSO (Western Sahara): 10 Apr 91 to date to be decided.
(v) UNAMIC/UNTAC (Cambodia): 01 Oct 91 to 30 Sep 93.
(vi) UNPROFOR (Yugoslavia): 01 Mar 92 to 31 Dec 95.
(vii) UNOMIG (Georgia): 23 Aug 93 to date to be decided.
(viii) UNAMIR (Rwanda): 01 Oct 93 to 31 Mar 96.
(ix) UNAVEM 3 (Angola): 01 Feb 95 to 01 Jun 97.
(x) UNOMSIL/UNAMSIL (Sierra Leone): 1 Jun 98 to date to be decided.
(xi) UNAMET/UNTAET (East Timor): 7 Jun 99 to date to be decided.
(xii) UNMIK (Kosovo): 10 Jun 99 to date to be decided.
(xiii) MONUC (Congo): 30 Nov 99 to date to be decided.
(xiv) UNMEE (Ethiopia/Eritrea): 15 Sep 00 to date to be decided.

b. United Nations Special Service Medal with Clasp:
(i) UNOCHA (Mine-clearance ? Peshawar): 1989 ? 1990.
(ii) Sarajevo Airlift: 03 Jul 92 to 12 Jan 96.
(iii) UNSCOM (Iraq): Apr 91 to 17 Dec 99.

c. NATO Medal with ribbon/clasp for:
(i) Former Republic of Yugoslavia*: 01 Jul 92 to 31 Dec 02.
(ii) Kosovo*: 13 Oct 98 to 31 Dec 02.
(iii) Macedonia: 01 Jun 01 to 31 Dec 02.

d. NATO Non-Article 5 Medal:
(i) Balkans (Non-Article 5): 01 Jan 03 to date to be decided.
(N.B. Macedonia [FYROM] elements ceased on 31 Mar 03 and the Bosnia Herzegovina elements ceased on 01 Dec 04).

e. European Community Monitoring Mission Medal (Yugoslavia): 25 May 91 to 30 Jun 92.

f. Western European Union Mission Medal* (Yugoslavia): 01 Jul 92 to 31 Dec 96.

The above medals are worn in the same manner as United Kingdom medals, ie, in the order in which the individual qualified for them. All UN medals and those annotated with an asterisk above may be worn with numerals indicating repeated

Colin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/02/2008 18:38:09

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Colin

I have read your post with much interest and have to say I agree with you.

The simplest form of medal would have been a 'Commando Star' along the lines of the 1939-45 Star ,Burma Star etc.

All my dad got was a 'Commando Certificate of Service' and I am sure these were produced independently by the Commando organizations.

I think the general opposition of the other 'Commands' to the Commandos put payed to an official medal.

I think I can detect the germ of a worthy cause here :) .........

Regards

John M

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/02/2008 13:02:42

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I know I'm a little biased, but I think that it is an outrage that The Commandos didn't get the recognition that they deserved.
A Commando Star - or something of that ilk - would have been ideal.
I would certainly support a campaign for a retrospective award of this kind but think it a great shame that the successive Governments have not already thought of it.
It would also be a great tragedy that, even if such an award was to be sanctioned, that, having survived WWII, so many would have gone to their graves without getting their just deserves.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello John M,

If there is a history of objection that goes back 60 years, with the passing of time and the thought process of those objections, would it now be the time to move forward as an Association and make genuine enquiries as to the process involved in applying for the creation and recognition of a Commando Medal :?:

There may be members of this forum who have experience in this type of application, maybe involved in the Malayan PJB medal saga.

If anyone could offer advice or knowledge in the feasability of such an application would be most welcome.

Regards,

Colin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/02/2008 12:51:12

[WWW]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

Biased and emotionally opinionated at the injustice that no official recognition has ever been served upon these exceptional, brave soldiers after all this time just about sums it up.

But that's MOD for you

Regards,

Colin

[WWW]
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I think you will find that commando service is covered by the particular medal issued for operations in that 'theatre'. I would not be suprised if that is the stock answer you receive.

I understand where you are coming from as my father served from 1941 to 1946, landed at Normandy with No4 Commando was wounded but continued in theatre. He received two medals in total.

If you appreciate that there where numerous other 'special' units who would also deserve their own medal.

The granting of permission to wear medals issued by other countries is also a nightmare, all theose who served in GW1 received two medals. One from the Saudi government and one from the Kuwaiti government. They may not be worn. However I wear mine and don't give a stuff!

As for 'chocolate box' medals, its all well and good the likes of the MOD and RBL saying that they arn't worth a toss and cant be worn when there is no other award which the wearer may qualify for as some of the conditions are unbelievable.

An example was the Falklands, some people in the UK and the majority in Ascension Isalnd received the South Atlantic medal while a large number of servicemen and women who served in the actual combat zone for a day less than the qualifying dates allowed, did not.

Your idea is admirable but I can't see it ever bearing fruit. Playing devils advocate, it would open the floodgates for all and sundry to come along with their own special medal for their own special circumstances.

An example of how reluctant the behemoth is to change is the cold war medal which was put forward as an award to the submarine service for operations during the cold war. Any submariner will tell you that when you sailed you where at war until you came home. The Russians were not adverse to chucking seemingly inexhaustible stocks of depth charges at submarine contacts especially round the Norh cape, and they played it for real.

I would suggest that you start your quest on the PMs website and bung a question on.

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is a link to the MoD Medals Office...

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

OK, here's the official version.

British Medals Policy
The procedures which lead to the institution of a British award have been followed for many years, with only minor changes. In the case of campaign service or an emergency situation, the process starts if the Commander in Chief considers that a medal for service in that theatre, or under parcticularly rigorous circumstances, justifies a medal. His recommendation is passed to senior military officers who, if they are in agreement, submit the case for a medal to the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS). If CDS approves the proposal, the Defence Services Secretary submits the case to the Committee on the Grant of Honours Decorations and Medals, (known generally as the HD Committee), through the Ceremonial Officer of the Cabinet Office. The HD Committee, consisting of senior officials from several Whitehall Ministries, consider the case and, if it agrees it has merit, submits it to The Sovereign for approval.

The HD Committee
The HD Committee evolved from a pre-war organisation, the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals in Time of War. The Committee is chaired by the Cabinet Secretary and Head of the Home Civil Service. The other senior officials are:

Private Secretary to The Sovereign
Appointments Secretary to the Prime Minister
Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Defence
Defence Services Secretary
Permanent Secretary Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Permanent Secretary, Home Office
Secretary of the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood
Ceremonial Officer of the Cabinet Office (Secretary)

There is no direct Ministerial involvement with the Committee as it reports directly to The Sovereign. However, PPS/Prime Minister is responsible for reporting to the Prime Minister matters discussed by the Committee. Similarly, PS/The Sovereign represents the Royal Household and in this way The Sovereign can be advised of progress throughout all stages of the Committee's deliberations over medal proposals. The Sovereign maintains a keen interest in the work of the Committee.

Qualifying Periods
Qualifying periods for each award or medal are determined by consideration of the rigours of the campaign. This is not standardised. In some circumstances, the qualifying period agreed has been as short as one day's service, whereas other medals or clasps require 90 days' continuous service. At least one campaign medal (the General Service Medal 1918-1962 with clasp Cyprus) required 120 days service to qualify. The case for each medal is considered on its own merits.

Retrospective Awards
Since the end of World War II, the HD Committee has maintained a policy that it will not consider the belated institution of awards and medals for service given many years earlier. The reason for this policy is that the present HD Committee cannot put itself in the place of the Committee which made the original decision and which would have been able to take account of the views of the Government and of other interested parties at the time of the decision.

Was a case EVER formally made to the HD Committee over a Commando Medal :?:

The HD Committee has made it clear on a number of occasions, (most recently in February 2002), in response to requests for the institution of belated awards that it will not reconsider this policy. They will not reconsider cases that took place more than five years ago. If an exception were to be made for one case, then it would be almost impossible to refuse to re-consider every other claim for retrospective institution of an award or medal.

What do HD Committee lose by considering requests for the institution of belated awards or is it too much like hard work :?: How many potential claimants are there looking for an award or medal that have been overlooked or just ignored because the claimants may not be considered worthy enough by the "Civil Service Brigade" who make the decision.

The HD Committee does not feel obligated to acknowledge so-called precedents dating back to the 19th Century, when Queen Victoria instituted awards for service in the Napoleonic War, over thirty years later.

There may be a common cause by joining with other groups that the HD Committee should re-examine its policy regarding belated awards. Strength in numbers comes to mind.

Colin

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Colin Russell wrote:Strength in numbers comes to mind

is that the same as "United We Conquer"?

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Spot on

[WWW]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Where is the justice in allowing a clerk in India to qualify for the same medal as a Commando in Burma?........I am of course refering to the Burma Star.

For this very reason there should be an 'offical' medal to recognise Commando Service.

Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Are there no office clarks in the Commandos?

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

should read office clerks

Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just a thought, how about a medal similar to the American
'Bronze Star Medal' issued to every Merrill's Marauders for "Heroic or Meritorious Achievement or Service"
or even better a medal simmilar to the:
'Distinguished Service Cross' issued for "Extreme Gallantry and risk of life in actual combat with an armed enemy force".This would satisfy unknowncommandos creteria covering (Where is the justice in allowing a clerk in India to qualify for the same medal as a Commando in Burma?) and could also bear the name of the the individual units eg:
Commando
S.A.S
Paratrooper
S.B.G etc, etc.

Finally, perhaps it is too late for the like of my late father, and others that followed in their footsteps, but could be issued extra to today's and future special forces.
Kevin

allychat
Forum Member

I agree with you. There should be a commando medal in recognition of the bravery and courage shown in fighting for their country. My father fought in the 45 Commando's and was wounded in France and had quite horrific shrapnel damage to his body - but that is all I know. He would never speak about what happened - it must have been too horrible. I know he was dismayed at the lack of recognition the Commando's got and gave his medals away in disgust. I wish I had been older so that I couldve asked him what happened - he told me a few things that were awful but never spoke about it again. I would love to find out more about what he did and where he fought. His name was Private John McKay from Glasgow and he trained up north with Lord Lovat - that's all I know. But it saddens me that for all they gave their country - they got no recognition back. I would appreciate any information on how I can trace 45 commando's and his background. Thanks

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger