commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2nd Special Service Battalion badge  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Goodday

I would like to share my recent find, a scarce 2nd Special Service Battalion badge purple with crossed green claymore swords. The battalion only existed some 4 months 11 Oct 1940 till February 1941.

This is what I found on the CVA site on the SS Battalions:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/Independent+Companies/

On the 11th Oct 1940 they were then formed into Special Service (SS) Battalions (Btn).
1st SS Btn. A and B Coys. was formed from Nos. 1,2,3,4,5,8 and 9 Ind. Companies (No.2 Cdo was later formed from B Coy. under Lt Col. Newman at Paignton);
2nd SS Btn. was formed from No.6 and 7 Ind. Coys. and the only recently formed Commandos from No.9 and 11 Commando;
3rd SS Btn. was formed from Nos.4 and 7 Commando;
4th SS Btn. was formed from Nos.3 and 8 Commando;
5th SS Btn. was formed from Nos. 5 and 6 Commando.

In February 1941 The Special Service Battalions were again reorganised back into Commando Units which were smaller and more workable.

My question is was the badge worn with claymores pointing downwards or upwards?

Cheers

JB
[Thumb - DSCN0366.JPG]
 Filename DSCN0366.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 288 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  520 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/06/2012 13:33:16

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

What a great find JB.

My instinct says they were worn upwards ..........but its only a guess.

I wonder if there is anyone around who actually wore them?

Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

mike beckett
Forum Member

It would be interesting to hear if any veteran of 2 Special Service Battalion (2 SS Bn) ever recalls this badge. Although it is illustrated in Bill Carmen's excellent article on Commando Insignia, which featured in Military Illustrated Past and Present for Dec/Jan 1988 and Feb/March 1988 (issues 10 and 11) there is some doubt over it being 'Commando' related. Alternative suggestions include an association with the Highland Battle School.

I have this pattern, and a variant in similar colours but with longer bladed Claymores. However I have never found any photographic evidence of wear - by members of 2 SS Bn or anyone else. It remains a bit if an enigma.

Incidentally, the picture in Military Illustrated has the badge with Hilts down/Blades up. This would be logical if following the format for Army Physical Training insignia etc.

Comments from any veteran may help clarify whether this badge has 'commando' connections. After years of research I am beginning to doubt it. I retain my examples but await definitive attribution.

Ted Land
Forum Member

there are three set of the claymores if anyone is interested! they are available from WD Militaria. please site down before you look at the price>

ted
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

He'll be lucky Ted

They've been on there for about 5 years that I'm aware of!! :shock:

Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Hello Ted/Belly/J-B
Yes I saw those items too and asked for more details of attribution. No doubt they came from a very good source as they look correct, but there was nothing definitive/specific re being Commando related (ie 2 SS Bn) or not. I bought a book in order to do more research - 'To Reason Why' by Denis Forman, though it is still on the 'to read thoroughly and digest' list. It discusses Battle Schools, as promoted by General Paget. The idea of Battle Schools appears to have arisen from a paper written in 1940 by Lt-Gen Alexander (later Field Marshal) on his return with the Army from Dunkirk. He placed emphasis on the need for more realistic Infantry training. (This was developed in parallel but on different lines than Commando training). The idea was taken up by a Brigadier, who on assuming command of a Division established a 'battle school' for his Division's infantry junior leaders, in Ashdown Forest . Lt General Bernard Paget (later General Sir Bernard Paget) was a keen supporter from his first visit, and when he became C-in-C Home Forces ordered the establishment of Divisional Battle Schools in all Home Commands and initiated the GHQ Battle School - opened at Barnard Castle in 1942 - to produce instructors for the new schools. (see Appendix VIII of 'To Reason Why' pages 218-220)
I have yet to do more research in this area. I am sure the insignia is not common, but feel it may well have its origins in this development. Regards Mike

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger