commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Old Commando Officers Mess Shield No 5 /No 12/No 4/No3  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Here is a reputed Officers mess shield which I aquired in 2000.

I believe this was hung in a training area mess perhaps in preparation for a raid.

I donated this shield to the Citadel in Plymouth where it hangs proudly in their bar on the wall.

Dimensions 16 inches high approx 14 inches wide.

But which raid was it???..............I have never worked it out.

Regards

John M
[Thumb - commando shield.JPG]
 Filename commando shield.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  485 time(s)

[Thumb - C Shield rear.JPG]
 Filename C Shield rear.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  500 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/06/2012 18:47:06

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Lovely Item!!

Early judging by the badges, but I can't think of a single operation where all those units were used together?

cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

St Nazaire maybe?

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Could be, but missed 1, 2 and 9?
:)

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Paul & Julie

St Nazaire certainly seems to be a strong candidate as elements of all these units were used on that raid.

But as of yet I have failed to uncover if there was a common training area or briefing location which involved these four units where they would have come together for a short time.

It would be great if we could pin it down.

Best regards

John M

Primus Inter Pares

mike beckett
Forum Member

Could it be a location rather than a raid? - We would need to consult the early War Diaries to see if paths crossed at all re billeting etc or shared HQ etc ... Not necessarily all Commandos portrayed being there at the same time.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I very much doubt this has anything to do with St Nazaire. The units shown in total only formed approximately 49 or so men of the entire force that took part. The demolition teams did train together at Burntisland and Cardiff docks but with demolition teams from other Commando Units not shown such as No.2 and No.9. So it makes very little sense in my opinion and certainly not in preparation for a raid in which the utmost of secrecy was involved. I think Mike may be along the right tracks when he mentions a specific location, perhaps even a training base which was used by these units. I spoke with Major Jimmy Dunning about this and he thinks it may be a specific location where Commandos from these units at some stage, either during the war or post war, were based or used. He said perhaps a pub or a club where such items were often made and presented to the licensee by members who met there.

There is one interesting factor here that might suggest something else. That is the way the numbers are listed as they are not in numerical order,ie 3, 4, 5 and 12, but are shown as 12, 3. 5 and 4. As 12 was disbanded early with many going to other Commando units, and 4 was the last to be disbanded in Europe with many being moved into No.4 from other Commando Units, might this be one individuals shield of Commando Service. Just a thought.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/08/2012 14:19:43

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

It's an interesting thought...........certainly could be.

The shield came from a curator of a museum who were having a clear out about 12 years ago..........there is no other ID with it.

The sign writing is of good quality but the work is not signed.

When purchased it was said to be officers mess...........could certainly be an idividual officers trophy though.

regards

john M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/08/2012 17:10:16

Primus Inter Pares

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger