commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Who is the Forums No.3 Commando expert?  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

A bit of a silly thread title I admit, but I would like to begin correspondence with someone who really knows the crack when it comes to No.3 Commando, a true expert.

Someone so knowldegable on the subject that if I were to ask them obscure question such as..............who was the only Navy Commando officer attached to 3 Commando in 1946............they would know straight off the top of their heads.

Is there such an expert on the forum?

Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/02/2008 15:02:48

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm not sure of the purpose of this question.

I would guess that you are already in possession of that information?

I'm sure that to someone, possibly a member of The CVA, that is important information.

I would hope that we are all here to share information that we may have gleaned from research, learn about the Commandos and help others in gaining information about Commandos - and NOT to participate in quizzes...

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/02/2008 19:32:43

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Just as Bob is our undistiputed expert on No.2 Commando; I was mearly asking if there is such a person for No.3 Commando? If the answer to this is indeed 'no, not that I know of' then I am prepared to accept that.

If it appears that some of my posts are of a quizzical nature, that is because I genuinly do not know the answer. You will find with internet forums that not everyone if willing to contribute publicly. People register on a forum such as this only to read posts and not to contribute......for whatever reason, perhaps they are shy? One can never be one hundred percent sure what the membership knows or who they are.

To post what I know with out having that information confirmed first by an expert may not only offend but also distort the true history of the commandos. That would indeed bring detriment to the forum. I prefer to post when facts are confirmed and I am able to quote reputable sources in this case an expert of No.3 Commando.

I am indeed sorry if I have offended you.

This message was edited 12 times. Last update was at 03/02/2008 11:19:32

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello UKC Nic and all

Regarding the credibility of information. I have found during the course of what I regard as my own thorough research into the Commandos that many facts can be contradicted in print depending from where the author has taken their source.

I have spoken to many Veterans of the same action and received as many differing accounts of it. A nucleus of truth but distorted by the individuals perception of it.

The Commandos by their nature were covert and and the written record I find reflects this.

So research in my case is always driven by caution and an open mind.

Sharing of information is most important and is a main reason for this forums existence.

It is difficult to regard anybody as a true expert on any or all aspects of the Commandos.

Some individuals can have more knowledge, which stems from their position within the organization, but even then they can only call on their personnel experience and not on things as a whole.

I think Brigadier Ken Trevor sums up nicely the point I am trying to make in his foreword to the book by Tag Barnes MM 'Commando Diary'

Quote:

The lack of information on the 'reason why' for changes in plans,orders and times , shows the frustration suffered by a junior rank in particular.

Every effort should be made to keep things running smoothly,but in war,as indeed also in peacetime,things do go wrong. In wartime it can be partly blamed on the need for security. It is easier for the more senior ranks as they have more chance of being in the know.

So all information can only be posted in 'good faith' and must be accepted as such by all who read and heed it.

But that for me is the interesting bit of all of this . The uncovering of that little nugget that makes it all fit together.

So all info is welcome and a correction or query should not be taken as a criticism just someone trying to hone that fine elusive point of the truth.

Best regards and happy hunting

John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/02/2008 12:58:55

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

UnknownC,
No I was not offended but, as you correctly point out, there are many people who visit the Forum just to read posts, and you may have offended any of them.

It was the wording of your questions that made me doubt your purpose.

What is wrong with the standard "Does anyone know the name of the only RN Commando to have served with No3?" - short, succinct and unambiguous and more likely to achieve results.

If your question was, as you say, purely innocent, then it is me that ought to apologise to you.

There is no shame, however, in posting information which you believe to be true - I have posted info which I have subsequently found to be incorrect and was happy to publicly state I was wrong and to correct it - even some of my own father's history!
As JohnM says there are grounds for many mistakes but by sharing information and by thorough research we can, like a jigsaw, put the pieces together and come up with 'pukka gen' information.

And, as this is a Forum [a medium for open, public discussion] there will continue to be people who will either express doubts or, hopefully, can confirm facts - and that is exactly how it should be...

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Our most knowledgable 3 Cdo member is Stan Scott, unfortunately not on-line; he is currently in hospital so unavailable. The only Naval personalities I do know of are the Naval Captain of the Flotilla on D-Day - Captain R CURTIS (Reg Navy) and the Comd of LCI 501 carrying 3Tp, 3 Cdo - Lt Comd WALKER (RNVR).

Not much but Scotty will know more.

Be nice

Kind regards

G

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2008 10:45:15

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This posting has certainly produced much varied commentary. One thought-provoking point concerns the memory of veterans as opposed to what is described as the written words by ?historians?. In this connection, I would like to record and combine some of the thoughts of an eminent veteran commando with a relatively-unimportant veteran, myself.

The veteran Commando Soldiers are a dwindling band, fading away as old soldiers are supposed to do, their deeds already history. It is a weird feeling to be a ?has-been? or historical character in one?s lifetime, not unlike being a figure from fiction, for much of what passes for COMMANDO HISTORY is little more. The veteran eyewitnesses to the battles that took place from Norway to Burma and points in between are often astonished to read what the NEXT GENERATION has to say of their exploits. The accuracy, and indeed, veracity of the veteran?s recollection of his Commando service is often questioned. Thank God for the unpublished operations that Commandos engaged in, for these events can never be subject to critical analysis or advice from some historian or other persons.

Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

"Thank God for the unpublished operations that Commandos engaged in, for these events can never be subject to critical analysis or advice from some historian or other persons."

Hi Bob, these last few words in your posting seems very appropriate to me, as I could count on one hand the number of times my father talked about his war service, I imagine, that after the war it was more important to get some sort of normality to family life after four years of active service overseas. Life had to go on and memories had to remain memories. Maybe now forty years on he would have opened up? I'll never know.
The historians with hindsight see the bigger picture. Where as in my mind a serving trooper at that is simply doing his job.
My mother told me after he died that the memories and nightmares never really ended, and must remain with them (As some of the events that happened in the Far East are already well documented by historians)-For what he and others had to do then as today, would be subjected to criticism in today's ethos. He was a proud man and proud of his service.
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
scotty3cdo
Forum Member

Hi All
Searching for info re- Ronnie Coates and Peter Gibson and happy to hear from all others who may like to get in touch.
Initially via this site only (via son-in-law who will pass on info) but questions and/or phone numbers etc welcome and will send mine.
Scotty 3cdo
Caroline
Forum Member

Firstly I am no Cdo 3 expert, but my dad, Charles is a former no 3 cdo and will be 88 tomorrow, friday 21st november.

Much of what he experienced gave him nightmares for years and years and I can remember always the need for sleeping tablets.

Only recently has he begun to explain a little bit about his time within the army and the commandos and he did attend the stand down of the Commando association back in 2005 at portsmouth, from which I have a great many photos of so many commandos.

Alas, Arthur Ashby has since died, a close friend of my father, but Dusty Miller he hasnt heard from his daughter Maureen for a while, so we are hopeful that he is ok.

I could attempt to put some photos on here, but if anyone is better at adding photo's then perhaps a private message and I will scan and email them.

My father also went back to Norway to Vaagso with 6 other no3 cdo and they laid wreaths at the memorials there - he also returned a pair of mittens and the story was picked up by the various news and BBC media.

If anyone interested, then google search on Sniper Charles Stacey

I have found this site by doing some other research and must say that it is quite interesting, couldnt resist having a look at the 3 cdo comments

Kind regards

Caroline
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Caroline,
Welcome to The Commando Veterans Association Forum.
I'm sure all our members will join me in wishing Charles a happy birthday for tomorrow.

Please explore the CVA Site well - there is also an excellent photo gallery which is worth a browse.

The CVA was formed shortly after the CA Stood Down and has a thriving membership of Veteran Commandos, serving Commandos and families of Commandos.
There are a few annual gatherings,
One in Fort William for The Commando Remembrance Services;
Another in July at The National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Staffs where we have recently placed a CVA Memorial.
There is always a good turn out from the Veterans as it is an ideal opportunity to meet up with old friends and colleagues.

I have taken this opportunity to send you the "How to join the CVA" link.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/join

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Caroline
Forum Member

Many thanks Nic and I will pass on the good wishes today to my dad.
I will ask him re the joining of CVA and maybe do on his behalf, computers and things are not really his speciality!! although he does do an occasional email.
He has been writing a 'Dads Story' for myself and brothers, to pass onto us and is detailing all his earlier years and memories.
I have told him in the past about the various commando sites and the almost hero status that is acclaimed to them and my dad just says they were not heroes - they were just doing their jobs. I have to say I do think they were all heroes

Caroline
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Caroline wrote:Many thanks Nic and I will pass on the good wishes today to my dad.
I will ask him re the joining of CVA and maybe do on his behalf, computers and things are not really his speciality!! although he does do an occasional email.
He has been writing a 'Dads Story' for myself and brothers, to pass onto us and is detailing all his earlier years and memories.
I have told him in the past about the various commando sites and the almost hero status that is acclaimed to them and my dad just says they were not heroes - they were just doing their jobs. I have to say I do think they were all heroes

Caroline

Hi Caroline,
I fully understand that someone of your dad's age may not be too savvy with computers - unfortunately, not many of the veterans are - but The CVA is more than just the website.
We have a quarterly newsletter, Dispatches, which is sent out to all members and this is one way that the veterans keep in touch with each other.
The great thing about The CVA is that all of the CVA Committee are Full Members of the Association (eg the President & Chairman are Commando Veterans and the Secretary is a serving Commando) and all of the veterans have the same attitude as your father - !we were only doing our job!"
[I'd like to think that we, the younger generations, know better ) ]

Take care,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Caroline
Forum Member

Nic,

I did pass on those regards to my dad yesterday and he said to convey his thanks - his words, 'I may be in the departure lounge of life, but I shall await the Queen/Kings telegram before taking off in the plane'

He has so many of these quips and humour for most situations - constantly joking and laughing. Following a heart attack last year and being hospitalised - he said it would have been easier to escape from a pow camp than to get out of this hospital. The nurses loved him.

He said he has been contacted by the CVA he thinks at some point following the stand down but feels that as he is unable to travel too far (he is also a carer for his lady partner) and as much as the army and commando is in his blood as his other family, he would not be able to attend the functions, although he never forgets to remember all those who fell and the memories will never disappear.

I have told him on many an occasion that they were all a part of our history and there will always be a need to be remembered by others too.

When we were at the stand down, dad and others had their photos taken with serving commandos of today and my Dad says they are the boys to award the hero status to - he sent copies of the photo's onto them as he felt proud to be with them.

Would it be okay if I were to join the CVA and relay the information via despacthes to my father?

Caroline
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Caroline,

Like most of the Veterans I've met, your dad sounds like a real character - it must have been one of the qualities required to become a commando.

I did like the story about him and the mittens!

Yes, of course you can join the CVA; the CVA encourages families and friends to apply for Associate Membership.
The necessary forms are on the 'Join the CVA' page, just print off the appropriate form and send to the National Secretary.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger