commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Goon Show version of a Commando raid on Crete  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The Goon Show on BBC Radio 4 Extra this week was 'Ill Met by Goonlight' the story of a Combined Operations raid on Crete.

After spending time at the Commando Spaghetti Hurling Depot in Rhyl, each Commando is issued with an army sock full of lukewarm spaghetti. Lieutenant Seagoon is chosen to lead the raid...

It's available on BBC iPlayer until the 19th of June: http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/7jnxg/

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Julie, I'll make sure I listen to that.

There may be those who may think that this could be a disrespectful and irreverant 'mickey take' of the Commandos, but I should point out that, Larry Stephens, one of the co-writers of the Goon Show was, himself, a proud Commando, serving with No5 Cdo in India, Burma & Hong Kong

Julie's cousin, Capt Lawrence (Larry) Stephens served in 2 Troop and in HQ Troop (Intelligence) and, for obvious reasons, was No5 Commando's Entertainments Officer.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/06/2012 12:25:41

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Irreverant possibly but to all and everything, disrespectful never, a great series definitely, hilarious without a doubt, and one not to be missed. Spike served in the Army during WW2 seeing action in North Africa and Italy. He was wounded in 1943. Larry was in No.5 Commando. Harry Secombe was a Gunner and described by Spike as "a short Gunner, wearing ironframe spectacles, a steel helmet that obscured the top of his head, and baggy shorts that looked like a tea clipper under full sail". Peter Sellers and Michale Bentine I think served in the RAF.

Here is a copy of the script by Larry Stephens (Julie's cousin) and Spike Milligan

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s07e23_ill_met_by_goonlight

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Excellent, thanks Pete.
Listening to the radio broadcast I didn't hear Larry Stephen get any credit yet he must have been heavily involved in this particular episode.
Happily the transcript of the script clearly shows Larry as being co-writer.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Out of interest, do any of you know of any Commando training taking place in Rhyl please? I'm trying to determine how many of the Goon Show references are based on fact. I've discounted the 'spaghetti hurling' but if any of you know anything to the contrary...!

Thanks a lot,

Julie

His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Julie,

HQ RMTG (W) [Royal Marine Training Group (Wales)] was based in Towyn, just 3 miles from Rhyl...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Julie,

My apologies, the RMTG(W) was at Tywyn (Merionethshire) between Aberdovey & Barmouth and not Towyn near Rhyl (Denbighshire).

I had seen the name Towyn in many references, including the Royal Marine Museum) and assumed that it refered to the Towyn in North Wales near Rhyl, but my research has now revealed that Tywyn was formerly known by the anglesised 'Towyn' - hence the mix-up

The other three RM Training camps were situated close to Tywyn.

Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 10/02/2014 14:57:09

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for checking!

[WWW]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger