commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
THE RIGHT TO BE AT FT. WILLIAM  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

AN OPEN LETTER TO DENISE

My dear Denise:

It has been quite a few hours since I read your post concerning the remarks of some anonymous person who had the temerity to question the right of Commando Gordon Lain?s Family to be present at the Fort William gathering. My anger has now subsided enough to offer my sympathy to you and your Family for having to put up with such garbage.

Your right to be in the company of what few Commando veterans remain is clearly established. You are the direct descendants of my comrades and it is we who are honoured by your presence. We are as one, all part of the Commando Family. Any outsider just would not understand. Without your devoted remembrances our memories would be left in the hands of the ?paper shufflers?.

To extend my gratitude to you and all the other relatives of Commandos who have been so kind to Janet and myself, I would like to see it enacted that you be allowed, and encouraged, to wear the green beret on memorial occasions. It should be a sort of heredity function, far more deserved than some youth waking up to find that he is now ?Lord of Upper Whatever?. If this is to be construed as a suggestion to Geoff and others who comprise the C.V.A. Committee, you are right ? it is.

It was certainly great to meet your Family,, Denise. I hope we will see you this year. You know, I am kinda proud that I come from the same County as such a gracious lady.

With respect and our love,

PS It was great to see Stephen Donnison?s reaction on this matter so quickly posted. Good old 5 Commando !

hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear All,
The Gathering at FW was not spoilt by this moaning, self opinionated, ranting minority, if a minority is one. "He" managed to bring out the side of my Familty of which my Father would have been most proud, they dealt with the situation in polite manner, such as he has taught me and I have taught them, many of you know us and you will know we would and do always show respect to those that deserve it, unfortunately this person will no longer be shown the polite side of our demeanor should our paths cross again. I congradulate my Family myself, and as far as they were concerned they showed this person a great deal more respect than he deserved. I am however aware, this person took exception to the pin being worn on the lapel, should we have to explain why its worn there, none of us are trying to pass ourselves off as trained Commando's, obviousley, I suggest perhaps this person might have enough common sense to realise the occasion and why we were there, and that the pin was being displayed as a sign of RESPECT for my Father, and his Comrades. Enough said.
Regards Ron

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It's not like me to be lost for words - and I'm not...

Although, regrettably, I could not attend FW 2007 and therefore did not witness this unfortunate episode, it seems incomprehensible to me that anyone who fought for the right to freedom and democracy, and who was himself attending a public gathering in commemoration of his fallen comrades and Brothers-in-Arms, could even think to try to deny someone else the right to attend that same gathering in order to commemorate a fondly remembered relative...

However, I tend to agree with Ron that it probably was not the attendance which offended but the wearing of the coveted pin.
And, in some respects, I almost understand his sentiment...
Having served in HM forces for 27 years, I do understand the pride this veteran must have in having been a Commando and the resentment of those who haven't been through the hardships of Cdo training, War etc displaying those badges of honour - even though in Denise's case it was obvious that she and her family were only showing their pride of being associated with a commando - and not pretending to be one.
Personally, because I have not undergone any Commando training, [and, here I find myself in disagreement with Bob Bishop :shock: ] I would have great difficulty in wearing a Green Beret, or a Dagger badge/pin etc. - I only use the Commando Association pin as an avatur because I know the CA has been 'stood down' and so there can be no misunderstanding about me aspiring to being a commando - BUT I am entitled to, and would, wear my father's medals with pride (on the right hand side of my jacket of course).

Having said all that, there is no excuse for boorish behaviour and we must all continue to remember our loved ones, and their comrades, in the way that we feel is best and most fitting.
I look forward to meeting you all at FW this year...

United We Conquer

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/01/2008 06:38:20

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
lushershouse
Forum Member

Dear Bob,Nick and Dad.......everybody has made us so welcome,yes,there is a "commando family" of which I/we belong.And I am honoured to belong to it,I simply felt compelled to write what had happened,so that the bully-boy gets the message,that we do belong there.

I respect the wishes on the fighting knife,I just want to be there to pay my respects to the amazing man that Gordie was and to the men that fought with him.

I have made some dear friends,so while I can still meet up and spend my weekend with them,I will.

If we can sort everything out for this year,Nick and I will be there xx

thank you for caring,we don`t batter down too easy !!
love Denise xx

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger