commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Tom Hall No1 Cdo and and John Strain No.1 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Npteggchaser
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm looking for any information about my grandfather , from when he joined the Commandos [originally in the South Wales Borderers I think] , upto the time he was demobbed , I've tried accessing various websites to gain this , but to no avail . I was previously [mid 1980's onwards] , an associated member of the now disbanded 'Old Comrades Association' based at Brompton Road in London and regularly received their newsletter every March and October. From this I did get a reply off Henry Brown himself , stating that he knew my grandfather , but unfortunately since then I have moved several times and the letter etc. has been misplaced or left behind . Anyone who has anything , however trivial they might think it is ,would be greatly appreciated , ie: training/billets/what troop/raids/air-train-sea journeys/1 Commando history/theatre of operations/dispersal units ,etc., thank you all in advance.

Regards ,
Mr . D Little

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/11/2012 00:15:33

Grandson of Thomas Hall [No1 Cdo] from Cwmbran
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Npteggchaser :shock: ,

Croeso to the CVA Forum.
Whilst I can't promise that you'll find any specific information about your grandfather, I can promise you that you'll be able to find out general information about The Commandos and, more specifically to you, No1 Cdo, their history, their theatres of operations, Roll of Honour and much, much more.
Although a relatively young website, the CVA, in its short existence, has become very informed about the Commandos and, due to good research from some of the members, hard work from the website Administrators, Geoff Murray & John M, and first hand knowledge from Bob Bishop MC, No2 Commando, the CVA Forum is, piece by piece, putting together a very comprehensive history of the Commandos and has been able to help people gain a further understanding of what their fathers/grandfathers did during the WWII and what sort of men they were.

Are you aware, for instance, that you can apply to receive your Grandfather's Service Record from Army Historical Disclosures Office?
For a relatively small fee you can hope to receive from very basic information about his Service History to quite detailed information about when he was attested, what training he had to undergo, promotion, postings, injuries and, more poignantly, his death (and in my father's case that was about 9 years after he was de-mob'ed)
The link below gives comprehensive instructions about how to go about this...

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

There are also a number of books that will give you a lot of information about The Commandos with loads of references to No1 etc.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/244.page

Please take time out to explore The CVA website - you just may find that tiny snippet of information that will send you off on a journey of discovery, or, you may realise that you have that small jewel of information that someone else is desperately seeking about their relation...

Pob lwc,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
My name is Andy Maines, my father was also a member of No1 Commando who's parent regiment was The Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Just a couple of points although I don't know any specific info regarding your grand father I can perhaps help you with some general history for example if you look on the Combined Operations website there is quite a detailed history of their exploits. Also have you checked out the photograph that I have posted on this (and the Combined Ops) site showing No1 in a landing craft having just carried out a raid on tha coast of France in Sep 1941. Finally I have been loaned (by the daughter of another member of No1) a rather intersesting programme that was produced by Henry Brown to comemorate No1's return to Winchester in 1995. Winchester was their last home base before being sent overseas to Burma. The programme has some very interesting info regarding No1 ie lists of casualties suffered in all their theatres of operation, decorations and the names of the recipients. It also has a very long list of the names of former comrades who are known to have died since 1946. I have also been loaned another doc by this lady which is a No1 jungle newsletter produced during their time in Burma. Unfortunately I do not have either of these docs in front of me at the moment, however I will check them out to see if your G'father is mentioned. Even though there is no actual mention of my dads name I have made copies of these for my own to add to the research I am carrying out on my fathers time with No1. Of course I am more than happy to provide you with copies should you be interested, unfortuntaly being a bit of a novice to this computer lark I have not yet got a scanner, but I would be more than happy to copy and post these items to you. :) :) :)

Best regards
Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/09/2008 22:15:42

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

Hi,

I would very much like to see a copy of the jungle newsletter as my grandad fought in Burma under 3 Troop No 1 Commando.

I am researching a book about his life during the war and would very much appreciate any information you can offer.

Dan Strain

Grandad's Name - John Strain
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dan

As requested here is a copy of the No1 Commando news letter dated Feb 1944, I have also got two copies of the "The Third Jungle Book" one dated July 1944 and the second dated Sep 1945. If you would also like copies of these let me know and I will send them to you. If you would like copies of these two docs it would probably be better to send them to your home email address as there quite a lot of pages. As you may have noticed I have already uploaded extacts of the Sep jungle Book on to the CVA site ie the troop notes for 42 and 44 RM Commando and No1 and No5 Commando. Finally have you seen the No1 Concert Party programme that I have also uploaded on to this site. All of the originals of these docs were loaned to me by Teressa Fitzgerald daughter of Edward Fitzgerald of No1 Commando, who's name is mentioned a number of these docs.
I see from one of your messages that you have some photos of No1, it would be really great if you could upload them all on to this site. I have saved and printed the 3 Troop group shots that you have already uploaded, they are really good quality.
Dan as I am typing this I have just checked the original Third Jungle Book dated Sep 1945 and it has one of the group shots of No3 Troop that you have just uploaded, I will also include this as an attachment.
As I said in a previous message if you could ask your G'father if he remembers my dad, Hugh Maines (not sure what Troop he was with) it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
Ps the Third Jungle Book group shot of 3 Troop would not load, probably too big so will now upload via a seperate message.
[Thumb - J47-Commando News letter-Feb 1944-page 2.jpg]
 Filename J47-Commando News letter-Feb 1944-page 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1868 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  666 time(s)

[Thumb - J46-Commando News Letter-Feb 1944-page 1.jpg]
 Filename J46-Commando News Letter-Feb 1944-page 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 3632 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  743 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/09/2008 22:09:47

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Group shot of 3 Troop from the "Third Jungle Book" Sep 1945
[Thumb - J26-Jungle book-pages 46 & 47.jpg]
 Filename J26-Jungle book-pages 46 & 47.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2296 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  659 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

That is amazing to see the picture in the newsletter that I have an original of.

If you can provide any copies of any information I would be truly grateful and would reimburse you for any cost of postage.

I will put the rest of the photos onto the image gallery now.

My friend at work has brought me in an original M1 Garand rifle used by the Commandos in Burma. I am taking it to show my Grandad tonight.

Dan
[Thumb - Grandad008.jpg]
 Filename Grandad008.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  578 time(s)

[Thumb - Grandad006.jpg]
 Filename Grandad006.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 66 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  573 time(s)

[Thumb - Grandad002.jpg]
 Filename Grandad002.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 264 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  595 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/09/2008 12:39:51

NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

Other photos of 3 Troop No 1 Commando
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

And a few more.....
[Thumb - Grandad013.jpg]
 Filename Grandad013.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  574 time(s)

[Thumb - Grandad010.jpg]
 Filename Grandad010.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 272 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  616 time(s)

[Thumb - Grandad011.jpg]
 Filename Grandad011.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 129 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  595 time(s)

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dan
Wow really interesting to hear about the M1 Garand, I remember my father telling me that they were issued with American equipment and uniforms when they were seconded to the US Army for Operation Torch. Any chance you could take a few photos of the Garand ?
As requested I will scan all the docs that I have been loaned by Teressa Fitzgerald and Email them to you, or if you prefer I can photocopy them and post them out to you. Thanks for the offer of payment, but that won't be necessary, if you want photocopies then that won't cost me anything and the postage will be negligible. The docs / photos that I have are included in the following list:

*Third Jungle Book July 1944
* Third Jungle Book Sep 1945
* No1 Commando Concert Party Programme (India)
* Photo that I have showing my father and other members of No1 in a landing craft having just carried out a raid on the coast of N.France.
* News letter that I have already emailed to you.
* Winchester Reunion programme 1995.

Dan is your G'Father a member of the CVA? the reason I ask is that the CVA are very keen to make contact with as many wartime Commandos as possible. To emphasise this point I have scanned and attached a copy of the last CVA dispatches news letter where this intention is clearly stated.
Let me know how you would like to receive the above mentioned documents etc.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - X23.jpg]
 Filename X23.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2899 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  657 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 20/09/2008 00:21:28

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

Hi,

My Grandad saw the M1 Garand and he remembers it being a little lighter when he was in Burma! He said they used the Enfield rifle but were issued the Garand as it was more robust and could be still fired after a soaking. Its downfall however was a problem reloading with only one round left, I think he meant you had to fire the last bullet in order to change the magazine. I struggled to get the trigger section to fit into place and was shocked how tricky it would be to assemble and load especially under fire.

My uncle has a photo of my Nan that my Grandad had stuck to the Garand he had, it has the landings they did scrawled on the back but they are very hard to read. He also has his beret, his medals a japanese flag, a japanese watch on a chain that he took from a dead japanese officer and his Commando Knife and machete.
He gets quite frustrated when I question him for too long as he is annoyed that he cannot remember peoples names.

I have pages and pages of stories that I have got from my Grandad, I am planning in writing them up soon.

If I could see scans of all of the documents you have I would be very grateful. My grandad loved seeing himself in the copy of Third Jungle Book you sent over.

Dan

I have taken some photos of the Garand I will send them when I get to work tomorrow.

I will also photograph any other stuff that my uncle has and send you those.
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dan
I have made photo copies and scans of all the afore mentioned photos and document, to be honest I can sympathise with your G'Father in finding it hard to remember names, I am only 47 and I am terrible. For that reason I have included a photo of my father also the photo of another member of this site who's father who was in No1 Andrew O'Marah and a photo of an American Volunteer with No1 called William McGinnis (aka Bud, Slick). You never know he might recognise one of them, I think the human brain remembers images far better than words / names.

The items that I will be sending you in the next few days are as follows:

*Colour Copy of No1 Concert party that has actually been signed by many of the performers including Henry Brown. (owner Teressa Fitzgerald)

*Colour copy of the Jungle News letter (owner T. Fitzgerald)

*Photo Copy of the "Third Jungle Book" July 1944 (owner T. Fitzgerald)

*photo copy of the "Third Jungle Book" Sep 1945 (owner T. Fitzgerald)

*Colour Copy of the Winchester Reunion Programme 1995 (owner T. Fitzgerald)

*Photo protrait of my father Hugh Maines.

*Photo of my father and other members of No1 in a landing craft having just carried out a raid on the N. French coast in 1941.

*Photo of my father (seated) and a friend probably India.

*Photo of Andrew O'Mara (son Kevin O'Mara)

*Photo Of William Mc Ginnis American Volunteer with No1, taken while on Commando training in Dundee prior to taking part in Operation Torch.

I think your idea of writing up your GF memoirs is an excellent one, I only wish I had done something similar when my father was alive. In actual fact the memoirs of another member of No1 have just recently been uploaded onto this site by John Mewitt, the former Commandos name being Sgt John Huntington, I have actually printed this account out and have it next to me as I am typing this and have noticed that he too was in 3 Troop like your GF. It would be interesting to see if John Huntington is on the group photo that you have of 3 troop, the printed memoirs that I have downloaded from this site does have a few photos both from the war period and one taken more recently, will have to investigate this further. In terms of my fathers Commando artefacts I have got his knife, Commando service certificate, Operation Torch certificate, medals and photos. He did used to have a Japanese sword taken from the body of the officer who owned it and what he described as a Gestapo telescopic cosh obtained in N. Africa, but what happened to these I have no idea.
I am now in the process of framing and mounting his Commando stuff, and will hopefully have completed this quite soon.

Will sign off for now, look forward to seeing the photos of the Garand and any other photos of No1, will send you the package of photos and docs sometime this week. If you would still like me to send you scanned images of anything that I am sending you just let me know and I will take care of it.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/09/2008 23:23:07

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sending all of the documents stated, I will really enjoy looking through them.

Please see attached the photos of the M1 Garand.

My Grandad remembers Fitzgerald, he said he was a tall chap who went on to be a comedian. At least this is his recollection. He is in one of the photos I sent you standing on the right.

My Grandad looked at the picture that you sent me but he said that he did not recognise the face. He noticed however from the medals in the picture that your father took part in earlier operations. My Grandad only joined the Commandos in 42/43 as he was too young and had to exaggerate his age in order to enrol so he missed the French/African landings. He does get very frustrated that he cannot remember as well as he wants to so i try and probe for information in dribs and drabs.

I had already spotted the memories of J Huntington so had printed them out and read some to my Grandad, he remembers a lot of it and it was very exciting to see his eyes light up as he remembered new information. He especially remembers being on a boat, towing their landing craft and being brought lots of tea by the Indian crew. He also said that the Indian landing craft crew would not take them in far enough at Myebon and that they were ordered over the side and had to jump in up to their necks and wade in.

I have so many stories written down now, I am quite looking forward to beginning writing them up, I am just doing a bit more reading first so as to be more historically accurate.

To write down all his memories in this forum would take too long but I can jot one down with each reply.

After being relieved at Hill 170, my Grandad's buddy Arthur 'The Bull' was suffering from another bout of Malaria. He said that one of the Sergeants, it could have been Sidcup gave the troop his rum ration.
My Grandad had a drink and had to help his friend over a paddy field to a waiting boat to go back to maybe Akyab Island or maybe Poona and he was nearly refused entry to the boat as his friend Arthur who suffered spells of Malaria terribly throughout the war was mistaken for a drunk! He said that many of the surviving Commandos had their weapons and grenades taken from them as they had had a bit too much to drink on an empty stomach.

Thanks again for the documents.

Dan
[Thumb - 092108124237.jpg]
 Filename 092108124237.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  563 time(s)

[Thumb - 092108124533.jpg]
 Filename 092108124533.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  604 time(s)

[Thumb - 092108124340.jpg]
 Filename 092108124340.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 21 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  596 time(s)

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dan

The photos of the Garand are really excellent, your GF was absolutely spot on concerning Eddy Fitzgerald, he was a well known comedian in No1, as I have said it is his daughter that has kindly loaned me the documents that I am going to send you this week. He is actually mentioned in a number of them ie the July issue of the Third Jungle Book, the News letter and the concert party programme. The group photo with him standing on the right, that is in the Sep issue of the Third Jungle Book, is really good quality, and I am just hoping that one of the other group photos of No1 that appears in the same Sep issue Jungle book also turns up as I am fairly sure that it includes my father standing on the back row. If I was able to see an original of this it would enable me to definately to determine whether this is indeed him or not.
I appreciate you asking your GF concerning my father, I have included another couple of photos, one of him and a friend and wonder if your GF might cast his eye over it to see if he can name the person standing next to my father who is seated. The other photo is of three uniformed soldiers and I would like to find out their names if possible (not actually sure that this photo is from the war, as my father stayed on in the Army, rejoining his parent regiment the Royal Welch Fusiliers) Obviously I dont want to upset your GF and fully understand that you dont want to bombard him with questions.
Will hopefully be posting out the docs / photos to you tomorrow by first class post, so you should get them fairly good order.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/09/2008 23:28:16

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

OMG This is all really fantastic,, great pics mate!

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger