commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sgt John Francis Friend, No8 Cdo & SSD2  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Peter Goode wrote:

I am trying to trace relatives of Sergeant John Francis Friend, No8 Cdo & 2nd Special Service Detachment who, along with Corporal Frederick Charles Goode and Private William Bland, was one of only 5 known survivors of the 100 officers and men who formed Middle East Detachment 2 [subsequently 2nd Special Service Detachment (SSD 2)], based, in late 1941, at the Bush Warfare School in Maymyo (Pyin-U-Lwin), Burma (Myanmar); under Lieutenant Colonel Henry Courtney Brocklehurst, 135896, for training for 204 British Military Mission to China.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3410.page

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/08/2012 21:25:02

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Nick

Is Peter aware of the book The Long Trek written by John Friend?

On Amazon there are comments placed against it by relatives of both Friend and Bland :

http://www.amazon.com/THE-LONG-TREK-John-Friend/dp/B000TTT4AO

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:Nick

Is Peter aware of the book The Long Trek written by John Friend?

Hi Pete,
Yes Pete has read The Long Trek and he does mention it in his account.
I will point him towards the comments from the relatives of Friend and Bland on Amazon though - thanks.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
john.f
Forum Member

Dear Peter Goode,

I am Staff Sgt John Francis Friends grandson, my name is also John Francis Friend, My grandad past away 25 May 2003. I have been speaking to my dad who was my grandads only child John Friend, my dad has a box with a lot of my grandads info and personal affects which he carried with him through the two thousand mile journey through the jungle of Burma. From Speaking with my dad we may be able to help you with the unidentified Private. As after the war in 1952 a gentleman gave my dad a robin hood book with his name and a little quote in it. He was a Private and was also on the same mission as my grandad. My dad and I are going to go through the box in the next week or so which I am very much looking forward, and this may uncover more information about his long trek or also hold information which you require for your book. Please let me know if I can be of any help or assistance.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi John,
Welcome to the CVA and thanks for getting in touch.
I have forwarded your email to Peter Goode and I'm sure he'll be really excited about hearing from you.

We (the CVA) look forward to hearing about any further information of the extraordinary experiences that you are willing to provide and would be honoured to upload any of your grandfather's photos and/or documents to the Gallery.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andy Thomas
Forum Member

William Bland is my Great Uncle and it is my comments on Amazon regarding the Long Trek.

I have been trying to research as much information as possible about William's time in Burma and have got some newspaper cuttings and other details about the story. As a child I was told the story by William Bland about how they buried the gold and money and escaped from Burma. After escaping from Burma and recovering William spent the remainder of the war in India.

William Bland joined the Commando's at the very start and was involved in Operation Ambassador in July 1940 when they attempted a raid on Guernsey.

I would be very happy to share what information I have got about William and Burma so please send me a PM.

Thanks

Andy.
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi andy,
Thanks for getting in touch with the CVA and for the offer of sharing your information.

I, and many of my CVA friends, have just returned from another memorable Commando Gathering for the Fort William & Spean Bridge Remembrance Services.
As ever, meeting up with these extraordinary, brave yet modest Veterans always emphasises to me the need to glean as much information about their exploits & experiences so that their proud story can be told to our children's children.
Obviously, we look forward to hearing about any further information of the extraordinary experiences that you are willing to provide and would be honoured to upload any of your great uncle's photos and/or documents to the Gallery.

I will forward your message to Peter Goode and have no doubt that he & John F will be in contact very soon.

We Will Remember Them.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
alanlw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

john.f wrote:Dear Peter Goode,

I am Staff Sgt John Francis Friends grandson, my name is also John Francis Friend, My grandad past away 25 May 2003. I have been speaking to my dad who was my grandads only child John Friend, my dad has a box with a lot of my grandads info and personal affects which he carried with him through the two thousand mile journey through the jungle of Burma. From Speaking with my dad we may be able to help you with the unidentified Private. As after the war in 1952 a gentleman gave my dad a robin hood book with his name and a little quote in it. He was a Private and was also on the same mission as my grandad. My dad and I are going to go through the box in the next week or so which I am very much looking forward, and this may uncover more information about his long trek or also hold information which you require for your book. Please let me know if I can be of any help or assistance.

Hi John, My interest in local history has led me to researching the life of Lt Col. Courtney Brocklehurst who was in charge of SSD2. He was born close to where I live now.

I have copies of WO361/185 from TNA which consists mainly of witness statements taken trying to determine what happened to Brocklehurst, including your grandfather's. Happy to share those with you and any other bits and pieces I have gleaned. Would appreciate anything you have about Brocklehurst or the situation in general which is not in your grandfather's book, The Long Trek, which I've read and enjoyed.

I have been in touch with Peter Goode and am looking forward to seeing his book based on his father's account of the retreat.

Alan
aim icon

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger