commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
History Of 9 Commando Sept 43-May45 from John Batten on site now  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Everyone

I am pleased to make available the narrative:

History of 9 Commando Overseas 11 Sept 43- 8 May 45 on site now;

Go to 9 Commando history page and access the narrative from there.

Thanks very much to John Batten No 9 Commando for making this available to us.

Also Johnie Moore for his help in supplying via email for John.

Regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I thoroughly enjoyed this narrative - well written, informative and with a sprinkling of humour.
I am currently reading Charles Messenger's The Commandos 1940-46 and am at the point where he described Op Partridge etc.
John Batten's narrative has added a less formal touch to the story, filled in all the gaps and made it all the more real.
Having served 27 years as a Photographer in the RAF and involved in Photo Reconnaissance throughout those years, I particularly appreciated the snippets about stereoscopes and stereo photography.

It would be fantastic if there were more first hand accounts, like this one, from other Commandos.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I have enclosed a request with the recent Dispatches 11 sent to our wartime veterans asking that they put pen to paper and share with us some of their wartime Commando escapades. These will be for use in the future Dispatches however I will request that they also allow us to publish them on the site. Fingers crossed. G

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Nice one Geoff :D

I am at present corresponding with an Old Comrade from No 12 Commando Sgt.John Huntington and he is sending me over the course of weeks his memoirs all typed on an old fashioned type writer. I have upward of 50 pages at present both sides typed. I can tell you it is fantastic and still continuing to arrive.

I am editing it as it arrives.

He has agreed for this to go onto the website. It may be several weeks yet but look out for it ...........it's well worth a read.

So anybody else out there ........as Geoff says ......get writing we need your memories.

Best regards

JohnM

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger