commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
3 Commando War Diaries  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
GUY
Forum Member

I am new to the forum, so hello.

Please could anyone tell me if individual Troop war diaries exist for 3 Commando?

Many thanks in advance

Guy
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Guy,
Welcome to the CVA.
I'm afraid the short answer to your question is: No, there are no War Diaries for specific Troops within No3 Cdo.

You do not say what information you are after, but if you are trying to indentify which Troop a relative was in then I'd have to advise you that individuals moved from Troop to Troop within a Commando - especially on promotion etc.
Generally, there will be references to individual Troops and there should be a few patrol reports from various Troops in the War Diaries.
There may also be Field Returns of Officers (nominal rolls of Officers), but few very references to individual ORs (Other Ranks)

Here is a list of reference numbers for No3 Cdo War Diaries - there may be others covering specific raids and operations.

DEFE2/38
DEFE2/39
DEFE2/58

WO 361/517 No3 Cdo missing personnel, NWE
WO 361/968 No3 Cdo missing personnel, Sicily

WO 218/3 No3 Cdo
WO 218/23 No3 Cdo
WO 218/34 No3 Cdo
WO 218/51 No3 Cdo
WO 218/65 No3 Cdo
WO 218/78 No3 Cdo REME
WO 218/83 No3 Cdo

A search in the National Archives Catalogue will give you a little more specific info (dates covered) - just enter the DEFE or WO reference (in bold) in the relevant search box. (eg WO 218/23 - covers 1941 Jan.- Mar., Sept.- Dec.).

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

hope this is useful?

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/05/2012 00:20:14

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Nick,

Many thanks for the helpful reply.

Guy
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Guy,

No problem, but that's only a list of reference numbers - are you looking for someone or something in particular?
We're here to help if we can but, if you'd rather not post your query on the forum, you can always PM or email me if you'd prefer

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger