commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Rfn Michael (Mick) COLLINS, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Gentlemen,
I'm hoping to find out any information on my late father Mick Collins who died of TB in Pembrokeshire, West Wales in 1956 - when I was just one year old.
Mick was born 09 Oct 1925 in Walthamstow but was living in Ash-Grove, Hounslow during the War. Keen to 'play his part', he lied about his age and joined 1st Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps. His Army No was 14499411 - although I have been told by Records that that number relates to someone else!

I believe that he was in 5 Troop, No 5 Commando.
I do know that he and his patrol [Sgt M Collins, Cpl E A Martin, Riflemen T V Luck & H J Harris] were taken prisoner, on Feb 9th 1947, on the Italian/Yugoslav border, by Yugoslav partisans but were later released [I have subsequently discovered this was after he'd returned to 1st Bn, KRRC].
He was in Poona and Burma where I think he was wounded on 23 March 44, I also think he spent some time in Naples (possibly convalesing?)
Mick would have taken his role very seriously but, at the same time, had a very robust sense of humour with a penchant for practical jokes...
As a young child I remember photos and sketches of him and some friends wearing slouch hats and I'm sure I remember seeing a set of twins - I'm sure I remember being told they were Aussies but again my young brain may have been influenced by the slouch hats...

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at 15/01/2010 21:14:56

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Anonymous

Hi Nic

What a great couple of photos!!

My father was in 4 troop No1 Commando and so fought along side your dad on Hill 170.

I have found the War diaries in the National archives very interesting. you should try and view No 5's diaries. It will certainly have a role of wounded and along side the name will be the Army number and Regiment so your Dad should be in there.

When you have his correct number you can then obtain his service record and get further info.

Good Luck

Bluefrog
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bluefrog,
Thanks for your reply.
As for the photos, I find that they sometimes help to jog memories whereas pages of text aren't always so successful, after all the photos are as they will be remembered by those that knew them.

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi mate
yes, great pics of your dad . My dad was at Kangaw too with No5 Not sure would he did. I know he was with Capt Beasley and did some Intelligence. Ive got quite a few of my dad in a slouch hat , looking very Australian . I 'll try and download a pic of him in his green beret if i can

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

im hoping this has a pic of my dad

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

nope didnt work damm

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bluefrog,
Thanks for your reply and advice.
Yes I think the photos may be of greater use to jog any memories than a page of words, after all, it's how friends and colleagues would have known our fathers etc back then...
I know my efforts would be far easier with the correct Army Service No - it was Army Records that told me that the number I have may refer to someone else...
The one I have could have been my Dad's - he may have used an alias as he lied about his age to join up [my Grandfather intervened and my father had to re-join when he was old enough]; or it could have been my father's younger brother's service number and the family become confused over the years...

Presumably the War Diaries aren't on line so I'd have to pay a visit to the National Archives? Any tips/advice you can proffer to make my search a little easier?

Cheers,
Nick

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 05/04/2010 20:17:13

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephan,
do you need help in posting photos?
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/04/2007 18:51:16

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

yes please ! but ive got my dad's pic there,,, I was hoping it could be bigger as you can see the No5 Commando Crossed daggers insignia on the side of his beret . That has always confused me . I have pics of him in his green beret with his old Lincolns badge on and others with the crossed daggers Was the cross daggers badge unoffical? why they never had one good badge like the RMs had baffles me

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephen,
To post photos they must have a web address/location - something like:
http://lotsof text/blah/photobucket.jpg
Your photo must have something like this for you to post it as an avatar?

So when typing your reply/post there is a row of 'buttons' at the top of the message page, press IMG and img in square brackets will appear in your message, paste the http://address.jpg then press Alt + P (together) and you'll get a front slash and img in square brackets at the end of the address

submit your post and that should be it....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/04/2007 22:23:46

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Anonymous

Hi Nic

No.... the War Diaries arn't on line but you can go to the NA site and search 'No 5 Commando ' and you should get at least the archive reference numbers.
Then you can pre order the diaries the day before your visit and they will be waiting for you on arrival. This could save you a good hour waiting on the day. Contact the NA in order to get your reading ticket organised first. Allow a day to read the diaries they are big.
It will be a very revealing experience............I think you'll want to go back again.
Good luck

Regards
Bluefrog
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bluefrog,
Thanks for that - all useful gen.

Just dawned on me that the Service number I thought was my father's is probably too long (8 digits whereas most people are quoting 7 digits!)

Well that definately means a day at Kew on the books (sic)

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Re Archives searches

Hi - Being in Canada we were unable to attend to search for War Diaries of No. 2 Commando.

We were provided with the following information:

If making a personal visit is inconvenient, you may wish to ask a friend to visit for you, or to hire an independent researcher, you can find a list of independent researchers via the following link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/irlist/

At that site, searched Army - Operations Records, located and contacted Peter Gardner at [email protected]. We provided him with the dates and information we were interested in. He spent quite a few months searching, copying and then forwarded the material to us (for a reasonable fee of course.)

The material is most interesting to read, but also frustrating due to the practice of not naming ORs nor giving them the appropriate credit due. I was able, however, to recall certain names and events from what was provided.

Lots of luck in your search.

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob Bishop wrote:Re Archives searches

The material is most interesting to read, but also frustrating due to the practice of not naming ORs nor giving them the appropriate credit due. I was able, however, to recall certain names and events from what was provided.

Lots of luck in your search.

Bob,
Many thanks for your information, I'm sure it will prove to be most valuable.
I can understand the frustration regarding the details of O/Rs, having not long left the RAF after serving 27 years, I'm afraid that it still rings true today that commisioned officers get most of the credit for a job well done [obviously because of their leadership] and the O/Rs get the blame when things go wrong.
I had a good friend who, as a SNCO Instructor at RAF Cranwell, was told to teach officer cadets NOT to trust their SNCOs as they would just try to show them up! Great grounding for a career in the Forces! Fortunately, most (but not all) officers in the RAF quickly learnt that they relied on their SNCOs to get them through each day...

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Admin
Forum Member

I have provided some simple instructions for uploading images here , i hope this is useful.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger