commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John Murphy No 2 Commando later Lt. Indian Regiment  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

I am looking for any info on John Murphy. He was in No 2 Cdo early but then transfered to an Indian regiment as a Lt. about 1943 I think.

Anyone please?

Regards

john M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

jezmez2323
Forum Member

Hi, my Grandpa was John Murphy and he was a 2 Commando. He went to Burma I think 1943 ish. Unfortunately he passed away in 2005. His wife, my Grandmother, Genevieve Murphy still lives near me in Lincolnshire.
Hope that helps.

Jeremy Barron
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Jeremy
Thanks for your reply. I briefly met your Grandpa and Grandma when I was secretary of the Lincoln Branch CVA.

The branch as you are probably aware is now defunct. I was just reminiscing about the members when I realized I didn't know very much about John as he passed away shortly after I took over as secretary. I remember him as a very affable and modest man and he did tell me he was a Lt. in the Indian army after he was in 2 Commando and fought with the 'Fighting Cocks' in Burma but that was about it.

Any other info or photos would be gratefully received

Please pass on my kindest regards to you your grandma Genevieve and I hope she remembers me.

Best wishes

John Mewett

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

jezmez2323
Forum Member

Hi John,
Thanks for getting back to me. I am meeting my Grandma next week (we all know her as Wumhum - long story!) and I will pass on your message. In regards to photos, info etc, if you want to send over your address then I will pass it over to her if you like.
A year or so after my Grandpa passed away, we had a family gathering near Spean Bridge where we scattered his ashes. Interestingly, in the Commando museum there is a very prominent photo of him captioned, I think, as simply 'A young Commando', or words to that effect, but not directly by his actual name.
Yes, he was a very affable, proud man who loved an ale and a good single malt!

Jeremy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There is a photo of John Murphy from the Lincoln Branch in the gallery here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/CVA+Branch+Meetings/Lincolnshire+CVA+Xmas/Lincoln+cva+2003.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger