commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Where and when - No.1 Commando troop photo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have been provided this photo by Sue Capes, niece of Gnr Matthew Wade who was in No.1 Cdo from May 1943 until December 1945. Does anyone recognise where this might have been taken and any others in the photo?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Matt+Commandos.jpg.html

A post war picture of Matthew Wade can be seen here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/1+Cdo+vets/Matthew+wade++at+work+1972.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/03/2012 19:24:43

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

I don't recognise anybody but I think the location is the same as the 4 Troop photo in the gallery.

Ahmednager India 1945.

I think the roof gives it away. I also think it is the same period post Hill 170 noting the plastered arm(maybe a wounded)

Best I can offer

Regards

John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/03/2012 19:46:48

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks for that John. I have been looking at the No.1 Cdo. Warrant Officers and Sgts photo and I believe I spot TSM John Joseph Downey MM in this troop photo - front row (excluding the man standing) 8th man seated from the left. Here is a link to that photo where they are all named:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/No1+Commando+W_amp_S+1945.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Yes
I think that is correct........tattoos and all :D

That makes it 5 Troop......possibly........more than likely.

Downey was wounded on 170........when they re-formed the troops the vets and NCO's remained in their regular troops.

Regs

John M

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 18/03/2012 20:41:37

Primus Inter Pares

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi all

I will send a copy to Idris Jones to see if he recognises any of the faces, in terms of this being a photo of 5 Troop, I have my doubts as both my father and Idris were in this Troop and neither of them are in the photo. However the person on the front row definately looks like TSM Downey, also I have just checked out the nominal role for 5 Troop that John uploaded and I can't see the name Wade mentioned. I will check out the copies of the Third Jungle Books that I have at home to see if they can be of any assistance.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/03/2012 16:41:41

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks Andy

I was just summising 5 troop according to the War Diary entry of role of wounded 170. Downey was on that.

I know some times people moved around. I have seen some photos of troops before without names on the photo.

John Lowman was in 4 troop at the time of the troop photo in the gallery but he isn't on it. When I asked him he said he was on other duties at the time the photo was taken.

I hope Idris can throw a clearer light on it.

Best regards

John M

Primus Inter Pares

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John

I have just re-examined this photo and I am a bit embarrased to admit that I am now fairly sure that my father is indeed in this photo, back row second from the left. The only problem being that the cap badge does not look correct for my father's parent regiment ie the RWF, however it is actually not that clear, being at a bit of a slanted angle and therefore making it difficult to be sure. I spoke to Idris Jones on Saturday who has gladly agreed to have a look at this photo to see if he can ID any of the names. Incidentally I now believe that I have ID Idris, but will wait to see if his examination concurs with my choice, I will as I have previously with the large No1 panorama send him an enlarged numbered version which I will also uoload in to the gallery. This will give him time to study the photo before my next visit in April and write down any names that he remembers.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks Andy

Loooking forward to Idris' conclusions on this........

regards

John M

Primus Inter Pares

Johnefc
Forum Member

My father William Doughty front row extreme right seated.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger