commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Another 1st pattern FS Knife  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

For those of you who missed out on the previous 1st Pattern FS knife, there's another up for auction at a 2-day sale taking place at Lockdales in Ipswich on 24 & 25 March. Estimated at £300-£350

Lot number 303: Fairbairn & Sykes 1st Pattern Commando fighting knife, scabbard worn, few marks on blade, plus a 2nd pattern with shortened blade in scabbard, 2x. Sold as seen
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/lockdales/catalogue-id-2853083/lot-13640684

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for the heads up on that, may put a bid in. Just for clarity, after checking the link provided these items are due for auction on Saturday the 24th.

Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just got back from this auction and didn't buy the knives. They went via a postal bid (somebody on this site maybe?) and no bidders in the room. I did have a chance to inspect the knives although I'm no expert or even a novice about what to look for I'll describe anyway.

The 1st pattern was in excellent condition, very clean with no scratches or pitting except right down at the tip, just below the handguard was the "F-S Fighting Knife" markings but no Wilkinson Sword markings on the reverse. There were two stamping markings on the handle close the handguard about 3/4cm apart but I couldn't make it what characters they were. In my opinion this knife looked much newer than a 1940's issue but I could be totally wrong. The scabbard looked very old and the end protector had come away from the rest of it. There were no tabs and no obvious signs of a clip or elastic retainer at the handle end.

The smaller 2nd pattern knife was all black with no "F-S Fighting Knife" or "Wilkinson Sword" markings or any other stamped marks. The scabbard looked in much better condiition than the 1 ts pattern scabbard and an elastic handle retainer.

There waas no accompanying information about the source of the knives and no marking on both scabbards to identify any servicemen who may have owned the knives.

Regards Vic
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Vic,

sorry to hear you have missed it. I did not bid in it. The fact that the wilkinson logo on the 1st pattern was no longer on it is a negative point. I also believe the scabbard was for a 2nd pattern.

Sure another one will come along.

Best regards,
JB

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger