commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Herbert Coote RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear all,

I am still trying to find out if anyone has an information on my grandfather Herbert (Harry) Coote. I know he was a RM Commando and his number was PLY/X 2381. I think he may have been in 41 Commando during WWII. I had posted before but I cannot find my it now.

Thanks,

Ian Coote
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ian

There is a fault on our forum search facility so that some entries are not shown. I have found your original post and updated it so that it will now show in any future search

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1401.page

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi again Ian

Have you actually applied for a copy of his service record as yet?

Ian said
My parents have just moved and unearthed my Grandad's service medals. They are addressed to him and the number is ply/y2138 as opposed to the number that I posted earlier. Is the extra 'Y' of any significance?

The National Archives refers to a 'y' prefix for the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) and states that it was issued to those that applied for, but never served in, the RNVR. However this is in an article relating to RN service numbers pre WW2. He would I think have been issued with a new number when he joined the Royal Marines.

If as you think he was in 41RM Commando, they were formed from the 8th RM Battalion in October '42. They included a Signals Platoon. They served in Sicily, Italy (including Salerno) , then returned with No.3 Commando to the UK for preparations for D Day. 41RM Commando were I know at some stage in Douvres so that's also close to Le Havre that you mention. Have you tried contacting the RM Museum?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hiya Pete

I'm about to apply for his records but it needs a next of kin and it's a case of getting my Dad into gear. he keeps promising to but I'm still waiting.

Many thanks though,

Ian

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/03/2012 00:41:04

[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:Hi Ian

There is a fault on our forum search facility so that some entries are not shown. I have found your original post and updated it so that it will now show in any future search

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1401.page

Thanks
[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2012 00:45:28

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

bowtr wrote:
I'm about to apply for his records but it needs a next of kin and it's a case of getting my Dad into gear. he keeps promising to but I'm still waiting.

Many thanks though,

Ian

Ian,
Just fill out the forms and all your dad needs to do is sign the Nok application part 1 form as giving consent

He doesn't have to write a letter as such.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/21451DB8-EBE3-4F7A-8153-B5ED38AACF14/0/request_for_service_details_rnrm_application_part2.doc

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ABD2FA46-5720-4F8F-AD21-53C3EDA07803/0/request_for_service_details_nok_application_part1_v5.doc

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2012 01:19:35

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks a lot for that Pete-I feel like the ball's rolling now.

Regards,

Ian
[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Have you received the records yet ?

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Not yet Mark,

I've given them to my Dad as next of kin so it could take some time, (unless I can do it-would I be classed as next of kin). I'll post it up as soon as I hear anything.

Thanks,

Ian
[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was looking through the photos from Achnacarry and think this may be my Grandad....

The photo says it is of an unknown course. I know my Grandad was a RM Commando and most likely 41 Commando if this helps? Were soldiers from different Commandos on the same course, or were they mixed?

Ian
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

bowtr wrote: Were soldiers from different Commandos on the same course, or were they mixed?

Ian

This would really depend when the photo was taken...

Whereas the Army Commandos came from all the Regiments and Commands to train before being sent to their respective Commando or Holding Operational Commando (HOC); the Royal Marines, initially, converted whole battalions to become RM Commandos.
So, in the case of 41 RM Commando, the initial course in October 42 would have been made up of men from 8th Battalion RM and it would have been unlikely to have been mixed.

Later, once the ten RM Battalions selected to convert to commando units had been established and formed, their re-enforcements and replacements were fed from the HOC, so subsequent Basic Commando Courses would consist of volunteers from the RM Corps.

I don't think that there was mixed Army/RM courses.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hiya Nick,

Well if it can be established that this is a photo of 41 Commando or any other for that matter, it would help me a great deal as I still don't know if it was 41 Commando that he was in. I've also got some photos of him with his comrades on here. I thought I'd already posted them up, but it may be in another section? I'll dig them out and put them up if it helps anyone.

Thanks,
Ian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/09/2013 14:26:55

[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

bowtr wrote:I was looking through the photos from Achnacarry and think this may be my Grandad....

The photo says it is of an unknown course. I know my Grandad was a RM Commando and most likely 41 Commando if this helps? Were soldiers from different Commandos on the same course, or were they mixed?

Ian

I've just come back to looking at some research on this and I think it may be a photograph of 48 Commando. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks,
Ian
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger