commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt James 'Carpet Slippers' Ennis No.4 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Following my researches into the Hardelot raid and it's connection to a local old fort in Dover (please see the 'Abercrombie' thread) I have discovered a few bits and pieces relating to Lt. James Francis Ennis of B Troop, No.4 Commando and thought I would put it together for you here. He had the nicknames 'Jock' due to his Scottish ancestry and 'Carpet Slippers' which I'll try to explain below!

Born 1910 in Glasgow, his home address being Craigielea, 20 Roman Road, Bearsden, he went to St. Aloysius School, Glasgow and then attended Glasgow University, followed by two years at Hendon Police College. He joined the Met Police in 1935 and became a Police junior Inspector at Arbour Square in Limehouse. Whilst living at Blackheath in London he married and had two children. During his service in the Met he patrolled and broke up a number of clashes between Fascist and Anti-Fascist demonstrators in London including a major disturbance on Tower Hill.

He also the rank of Lieutenant in the Clyde Heavy Brigade (TA). At the time of mobilisation he obtained a commision in Royal Artillery at outbreak of war and from there volunteered for the commandos. There he was posted to 'B' Troop of No.4 Cdo.

During the Hardelot raid he was second appointed in command of No.3 Fighting Patrol under Lt. Peter Mercer-Wilson. He also recorded many beach reports mostly relating to the terrain, many of these still exist in the National Archives as sections of Lovat's official record of the raid.

With his police background, he took a home-made truncheon with him to France - this was a twenty inch rubber tube with three and a half inch steel bar in one end. He regretted not having the opportunity to use it.

Whilst the rest of the commandos actually wore gym shoes on the raid to minimise sound, Ennis wore carpet slippers tied to his feet with elastic bands. "I wanted to invade France in comfort", he claimed. On his return he stated "They will never be the same again, but it was in a good cause". His father speculated that he had no gym shoes as he took size 11 and perhaps none could be found to fit him.

At Dieppe he was Mentioned in Dispatches commanding the mortar section of No.4. The Recommendation read: "Lt. Ennis was in charge of the 3th Mortar Detachment which brought effective fire to bear on the Heavy Battery. By good staff work and well thought out preparatory training the Mortar Detachment kept up a concentration of accurate and devastating fire upon the German Gun crews. Lt. Ennis organized an efficient ferry system bringing Mortar ammunition reserves from the supporting landing craft. He also succesfully covered the re-embarkation of the Commando silencing en enemy Machine-Gun on the top of the cliff and keeping enemy Mortar fire at a respectable distance."

He was described by his father, W.P. Ennis as "a lad who always liked a bit of comfort" and described by his Police colleagues as "slim and easy going with great sense of humour.". He was also a close friend of Lord Lovat.

Sadly, to date I have not been able to find out anything further of his career post-Dieppe.

*Photo removed by admin. Can still be viewed in gallery [view image]. Correct image of Lieutenant Ennis uploaded by Phil Eyden below.

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at 08/04/2018 15:08:55

[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Lt. Ennis can be seen in the Pathe newreel covering the raid:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/commandos-raid-boulogne
[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have just discovered that back in April this year, and on the 70th anniversary of the raid, The Daily Telegraph reprinted an interview with James Ennis. I don't suppose anyone here has a copy? If so, please drop me a line as I'd very much like to read it. Thank you.
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Found this in the Evening Despatch Thursday 23rd April 1942 courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive.

COMMANDO CARPET SUPPER HERO OF BOULOGNE NAMED The carpet-slippered Commando officer, who (as reported on Page Three), armed with a cosh invaded Boulogne in comfort with the Commandos early yesterday morning, is 28-year-old ex-Police Inspector James Ennis, who comes from Glasgow. Former police colleagues in the East End of London, 'Jock' Ennis was stationed at Arbour Square and Limehouse before the war, were not surprised at his latest role. He was always a good man in a rough house in those days, and more than once proved that he could look after himself during the Fascist and anti-Fascist demonstrations in that part of London. Once he was involved in a particularly severe scrap on Tower Hill. The raid is hailed with enthusiasm in Russia. Moscow radio gave the full facts in last nights bulletin, and repeated them several times to-day. The raid has also hit the headlines in the American Press and is featured by radio commentators.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/04/2018 22:09:32

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Why 'carpet slippers' ?

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

When I wrote the first post here about six years ago - goodness - I was still gathering information. After speaking to his relatives, I now know that the photo above is not that of Lt. James Ennis, it is actually of Capt. Patrick A.T. 'Doc' Wood (Royal Army Medical Corps). He landed at Hardelot and remained with Lord Lovat at the beachhead as the fighting patrols went about their business. He had a stretcher and battlefield medical equipment to deal with any returning injured soldiers. I apologise for making the mistake and confusing the two men back then.

Attached is a correct photo of Ennis. He was nicknamed 'Carpet Slippers' as he did the whole raid wearing slippers as he had left his gym shoes onboard the Prins Albert by accident. The press picked up on this and used it in the papers and newsreels. Jimmy Dunning, who was there, told me he received a 'roasting' from his commanding officers after the incident. It is explained in the first post here.

[Thumb - Ennis.jpg]
 Filename Ennis.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 43 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  425 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 07/04/2018 16:12:55

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have replaced the original photo of Lovat's briefing referred to in the 1st message of this thread with a link to where it is still located in the gallery with updated details. I also found an entry on the website of St Aloysius College Glasgow, part of which is in the extract below:

James F. Ennis(1923) read Law at the University but gave this up to take a commission in the Clyde Heavy Brigade R.A. (Territorial Army). This in turn he relinquished to pass into Hendon Police College at his first examination. He passed out of Hendon as Junior Station Inspector and was appointed to Limehouse. When the war broke out he was permitted to rejoin the Artillery in which, because of his previous experience, he received a commission and was promoted Lieutenant in June 1940. When Commandos were first formed early in 1941 he was posted to No. 4 Commando and took part in several raids on the coast of Europe; the outstanding raids were that on Boulogne early on April 22nd 1942 and that on Dieppe at dawn on August 19th 1942.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/04/2018 15:19:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Listed on the Dieppe list 53193 Lieut. Ennis J. R.A.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger