commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
CH/2299 CSM John M. Ellis 46RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Keith Taylor has found this extract in the memoirs of his father (Eric Taylor 46RM Cdo) regarding a John Ellis:

"Our historian John Ellis had died in early January (1994) , he had written a most wonderful story of our Commando but had failed to get it published, what a loss to all concerned, he would have sold thousands, most of our members had ordered one and several others wanted 2 or 3. Hundreds were earmarked for the "Globe and Laurel" offices, the same for the Lympstone Commando Headquarters and others".

Keith asks:

Would this be the same book which was later compiled by John Cox a couple of years later? If not, does this material still exist unpublished"

I can confirm after a chat with 46RM Commando veteran Len Tildsley that John Ellis went from a Corporal in 'B' Troop, to Sergeant in 'Z' troop, and finally to TSM (or CSM) in an unknow section of 46RM Commando. Len, although he cannot remember about any document that John wrote, described John Ellis as being the kind of guy who would do such a thing and went on to say:

Sgt. Ellis was in my opinion the perfect Royal Marine. He was disciplined but not overly strict. Firmly believed in what he was doing and the task involved. He was , as we all were, immensely proud of being a RM Commando"

So if anyone knows of such a document or has a copy we would all be interested in seeing this.

I should point out that Keith already has a copy of the book The Story of 46 Commando Royal Marines by Captain P.K.W. Johnson RM published in 1946 and a transcript of which he has taken the time and effort to send to me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/02/2012 14:01:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

In an account written by John Cox called "Into Europe with 46RM Commando" there is a foreward crediting Captain P.K.W. Johnson and CSM John Ellis so I believe this is what is referred to
[Thumb - 46RM Cdo into europe.jpg]
 Filename 46RM Cdo into europe.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 549 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  633 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Matthew Cunnington
Forum Member

I am Matthew Cunnington, I am the great great nephew of CSM John Ellis.
I believe following his death in 1994 the book written by John was destroyed by his late wife after it was believed it would never be published due to high publishing costs. This was the final and only copy of the book that would have been published. This leaves no existing copy of the book in which John Ellis had to my knowledge spent 7 years constructing before his passing.
However I believe the material that was in the book is in existace in the form of recorded tapes in which John used to play back to himself to construct the book. If theise are still in existence I would like to use them to construct a copy of the book based on the information in the tapes.
Any information of CSM John Ellis would be greatly apriciated.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Matthew

I personally have no additional information about your great great Uncle, CSM John Ellis. However in regard to your idea about the book I can put you in touch with Keith Taylor and other members of a group dedicated to the memory of those who served in 46RM Commando. Keith himself is in the final stages of publishing a book about 46 and I am sure would be delighted to chat with you. I will send you his details in response to the email you sent me.

Do you have a photo of CSM Ellis ?

Regards

Pete

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger