commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Theodore Hallett  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
JackC
Forum Member

I was wondering if anyone here could help me.
I'm looking for a picture of Sir Theodore Hallett...The information I've been given.....and I don't know how accurate it is.....he was born January 1878 and died December 1956. He was a Royal Navy officer in World War I and retired in 1933.
However he was recalled in World War II to serve as a beachmaster for the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, as a member of the expeditionary force to Narvik in Norway in 1942 and then as Director of Training for the Commandos. That's all I know I'm afraid....any help would be much appreciated.
bgunning
Forum Member

I have a picture of my Grandfather, Sir Theodore Hallett, admiring his first grandchild, Charles Gunning (my brother). This would be sometime in 1935.

The message keeps getting refused. please email me if this gets through without the picture.
bgunning
Forum Member

PS, He looks decidedly un-commando-like; more grandfatherly.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

bgunning wrote:I have a picture of my Grandfather, Sir Theodore Hallett, admiring his first grandchild, Charles Gunning (my brother). This would be sometime in 1935.

The message keeps getting refused. please email me if this gets through without the picture.

Hi and welcome to the CVA. I would imagine that the reason that you are unable to upload the photo of your grandfather, Sir Theodore Hallett, is all a metter of size.
If you email the photo to me (address below) I will endeavour to upload it for you.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is a photo of Bernie's grandfather, Vice-Admiral Sir Theodore John Hallett K.B.E., C.B..

Theodore John Hallett was born at Hardwick, Warwickshire in January 1878 and entered the Royal Navy as a Cadet in 1891. Advanced to Lieutenant in 1899, he witnessed active service off China in HMS Phoenix and gained entitlement to the China Medal without clasp, in addition to becoming a member of the Imperial Military Order of the Dragon.
By the outbreak of hostilities in 1914 he was serving as a Commander aboard the battleship Neptune until removing to the Royal Sovereign in March 1916 and, in June 1917, as a newly promoted Captain, to the cruiser Blonde.
He was awarded the CBE in September 1919 for 'His valuable command of HM Ships and as a Flag Captain to the Rear-Admiral commanding the 3rd Light Cruiser Squadron.
Advanced to Rear-Admiral in April 1928, Hallett received a glowing report from Admiral Sir Roger Keyes for his services as Captain of the Fleet in the Mediterranean. Appointed Commander-in-Chief, Coast of Scotland in 1929 he became A.D.C. to The King in the same year, and was appointed C.B. in January 1931, prior to being placed on the Retired List in the rank of Vice-Admiral in January 1933.
Recalled on the renewal of hostilities in September 1939, he was employed in the Press Section of the Naval Intelligence Department (N.I.D.) prior to being appointed to Special Service in the rank of Commodore 2nd Class in February 1940 and as Commodore of Conveys that June, his service record noting that he was Mentioned in Despatches (M.I.D.) for Dunkirk [London Gazette, 16 August 1940].
Shortly thereafter he transferred to Combined Operations as C.O. of assorted training centres until joining the Staff of C-in-C Portsmouth in March 1944, a wartime record which earned him the following praise from Admiral Lord Mountbatten:
"Vice-Admiral Hallett originally commanded the Combined Training Centre (C.T.C.) at Inverary and was later appointed Director of Combined Training. Much of the technique of Combined Operations owes its inception to him. He proved himself a most loyal and charming colleague and was universally popular with all whom he came in contact."
Theodore Hallett was awarded the K.B.E. in June 1944 and reverted to the Retired List in October 1945

Nick
[Thumb - Hallett.jpg]
 Filename Hallett.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Theodore John Hallett
 Filesize 288 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  400 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/08/2012 00:18:24

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
bgunning
Forum Member

I found another picture - a bit easier to see some Commando potential here, perhaps. I would guess this is circa 1930.
[Thumb - Hallett2.jpg]
 Filename Hallett2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Helen Nancy (Ann) Hallett (Gunning), Helen (Daykene) Hallett, Theodore John Hallett
 Filesize 142 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  432 time(s)

bgunning
Forum Member

JackC wrote:I was wondering if anyone here could help me.
I'm looking for a picture of Sir Theodore Hallett...The information I've been given.....and I don't know how accurate it is.....he was born January 1878 and died December 1956. He was a Royal Navy officer in World War I and retired in 1933.
However he was recalled in World War II to serve as a beachmaster for the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, as a member of the expeditionary force to Narvik in Norway in 1942 and then as Director of Training for the Commandos. That's all I know I'm afraid....any help would be much appreciated.

I have a bit more formal picture of my grandfather in full uniform.
[Thumb - Scan0010.jpg]
 Filename Scan0010.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Vice Admiral Sir Theodore Hallett, KBE, CB
 Filesize 275 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  327 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger