commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Major Brian 'Tug' Wilson (Cdo Ord Sqn and 3 Cdo Bde)  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

It is with much sadness that I inform of the death of a dear friend and fellow Commando, Major Brian 'Tug' Wilson who died on Tuesday 21 February 2012 aged 70 years.

Tug was a huge character in the Commando Ordnance Squadron and Commando Logistic Regiment throughout the 70s and 80s and captained the Regimental rugby team for many years.

Tug leaves his wife Cylla and family who our thoughts are with in their time of sadness.

Funeral details to follow.

Rest in peace Tug!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 28/02/2012 00:20:47

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Emails for Tug:

The Sqn has lost another true legend, I know the guys will do him
proud at his send off.
Regards,
Kevin Hamilton

That's a shame Geoff he was one tough chap old tug may be worth trying to let wurz phelps and Geoff Edwards know .
Regards
Budgie Burgess

Geoff
Sorry to hear the sad news. Iam almost sure that Tug was in the OFP in Singapore during my time as DADOS 3 Cdo Bde.
Unfortunately i am in Australia until 20 March but I know you will do him proud.
Regards
Tom Howell

Geoff,
Such a sad time for all corncerned my thoughts are with Tugs family at this devastingly sad time. another Commando down...God bless. RIP Tug. Commando spirit lives on. Two brothers in-arms, Smudger go easy on Tug up there....xx
xx Mason Family xx

Geoff,
Speaking for all us old gits - Tug was the absolute main man. I will get the news around to all those I can, some are not on the database.
Keep me in the loop - can't see Wurz Phelps on your list, do you know if he knows?
Be in touch,
Duds Reid

Geoff,
Absolutely gutted, the man was a icon within the Sqn, please keep me posted.
Mark Hall

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2012 23:42:19

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Geoff,
What an unenviable task you have, to inform us of yet another legend passing over to the Commando Squadron In the Sky.
It goes without saying our thoughts are with his Wife Cylla and family at this painful time.
I never had the honour of serving with TUG, however I have met him at many reunions, It was always great to talk to him and most of all hear the stories from him and about him from his friends in the Commando Ord Squadron at his time, also the stories of his Rugby life which i know he loved as much as he loved the Squadron if that is at all possible.
Unfortunately the funeral will be before i get back in April so will be unable to attend, however if there are donations being made or contributions to anything for him, please count me in.
I know the Squadron will give him a great send off, my thoughts will be with you all on the day.
For all those guys who have gone before him, he is on his way, so standby!!
I also wish for a good Commando send off for Smudger tomorrow, Love to his Family.
Heartfelt Regards
Mick Calvert

Mate, once again I am shocked and stunned at this terrible news. Tug was and will always remain huge a Sqn legend and a top bloke. Please pass on my sincere condolences and best wishes to Cylla and the family.
I am so sorry that I will not be able to make the funeral, I will probably be in New Zealand,
Burt Reynolds

Hi Geoff,
Thank you very much for passing on the information I have had a few emails from Sqn members.
Tug was a great man and my mentor whilst I was in the Sqn, I was falling of the tracks before I met him and he got a grip off me and made me proud to be with the guys, absolute great loss. But great memories.
Hopefully see you at the funeral.
Steve (wurz) Phelps

ANOTHER TRUE LEGEND! Tug & Smudge will be having a pint together, on the other side. RIP !!!! SQUADRON
Pinky Floyd

A gladiator...Tug we salute you
Mitch

Geoff
What a great loss. He will be missed. My sorrows goes to Cylla.
Steve Rickards

I didn't know him too well but his reputation made sure everyone held him in high regard.
RIP to another Sqn Legend.
Kev

Hi Geoff,
Thats sad news, I knew Tug in squadron as WO1 Tech and LT Wilson, he was great on a run a shore, always called people Nob Jockey.
He said to me one day ?Avery you?re from the north, I said why, you?re off to 45 Commando it?s up the north.
When he became an officer he started drinking pink gins on the LSL?s nobody ever took the mickey but Wurz, he was the only one who could get away with it.
Pass my condolences to his wife Cylla.
All the best.
Ian Avery

RIP TUG - LEGEND

Thank you for the news. Of course I knew him only slightly. We wandered round Union Street one night. Really a great guy.
Yours sincerely
Ken Hollows

Duds, thanks for the email. I hadn't heard and I'm pleased you let me know. I knew him too well, handed over to him (Con of the airfield logistics) and his Det (including Clive Walker) at Ascension before I embarked on Galahad to the Falklands. Upset him in Plymouth because I wouldn't play for United Services Rugby Team, the ground was just down from Stonehouse - and I ended up playing for Prince Rock. Great memories. And the email addresses (recognising some of the names) below bring some fond memories as well.
If you do get any more info (especially the funeral) I would appreciate another email. Thanks again. David Middleton

Dear Geoff,
This really is sad news, in 1962 the RAOC with HQ 3 Commando Brigade consisted of Ray Thornton as BOO and Sandy Sanderson, Ted Champion and David Anderson. The Ordnance Field Park arrived in Singapore in late 1963 and I am sure included Tug Wilson. I left the Brigade HQ in 1965 and did not return until 1968 finding Tug either still with the OFP or also having returned, I don't remember which. The Commando Log Regt formed up, under Ray Thornton and the OFP became the Ord Sqn. I moved from the Brigade HQ, via the Ord Sqn to HQ Commando Forces at Hamoaze House and Tug was then at Arbroath with the Ord Sqn Det with 45 Commando. He went with them to Norway a few times and once loaned me a land rover for a few days when I paid them a visit. I departed again towards the end of 1975, not to return other than for a few Tug organised reunions at Coy Pool.
The man who could fill in the blank spaces, including time in Kutching, is Douglas Mackay who was the WO1 when the OFP was formed and who retired as a Major (OEO). To my shame I have not been in touch with either Tug or Duggie for years.
Hope this helps.
David Anderson

Hi Geoff,
Mick my brother passed on the sad news about Tug and rightly as you say 'A LEGEND'.
I am still in Iraq and will not make it back for the funeral but rest assured my thoughts will be with Cylla and Family.
Please add me to your mailing list mate.
All the best
Phil

Geoff,
Please pass on my condolences to Cylia and the family; i can only imagine how they are feeling. I met Tug on one of the Sqn reunions, he was an absolute gentleman, and something he would have been aware of. I had heard the old school lids talk of him in high regards and on meeting him I was nothing more than overwhelmed by his personality. He was a green lid through and through. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend his funeral, best regards in the circumstances.
Chubbs
Mark Hall

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 06/03/2012 00:45:13

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Norman Coles
Forum Member

I served with Tug, on and off, from 1972 to 1982. It was a great shock when PJ (Dave Povey) told me of Tug,s death, my condolences go out to Cylla.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/02/2012 00:01:23

Norman Coles
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Dear fellow Commandos and friends,

I have now received details of Tug's funeral from his dear wife Cylla, as follows:

Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Family

Exeter Road

Honiton

Date:

Friday 9 March 2012

Time:

12.00 noon

Detail:

No flowers please but donations for Help for Heroes Charity or Father Joseph's Mission in Sierra Leone

All are welcome to join the family at Sidmouth Rugby Club for refreshments following the funeral.

Anyone intending to attend should either let me know or email Cylla direct.

Cylla's email: [email protected]

Let's give the big man a send off he deserves!!!!

Squadron!

Tug Wilson

Commando Ordnance Squadron

1942-2012

Geoff Murray
National Secretary
Commando Veterans Association
www.comandoveterans.org

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/02/2012 00:27:35

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Steve Cooney
Forum Member

Tug got me out of S**t loads of times he was a great Capt andwhen i was private we were good mates never forget you RIP the only man from crystal Palace to get commissioned
will be there to see you off
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Dear Geoff,
I was so sad to hear of Tug's untimely death 2 weeks ago, a very sad loss to many serving and ex serving members of the Armed Forces who were lucky enough to know him.
I knew Tug through work in the Army and also playing rugby for the RAOC and he was an inspiration to me in many aspects of my time in the Army.
He also asked me to play for Exeter Rugby Club many years ago which I turned down, a dicision I have regretted since many times. In the words of Tug, "there's no shortcut to fitness", and at the time I just wanted to play fun rugby.
I will be attending the funeral in Honiton and also afterwards at Sidmouth Rugby Club.
Kindest regards.
Mark Botten

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Nigel_S
Forum Member

Geoff,

Thanks for letting us know about this terribly sad news on this forum and for the posts on RAOC online.

It was such a shock to hear of news of Tug's sudden death. Unfortunately I was unable to be at his funeral but it comes as no surprise that so many we there to pay their respects. Just imagine his words if he were looking on!

Tug was such a strong character that it seems barely possible that he's no longer with us - in the physical sense at least.

Like many others I knew Tug through rugby and serving together. Initially, in the late '70s we met playing together (or opposite each other) in the front row. Later I had the honour of taking over from him as 2IC Cdo Ord Sqn. That was in 1983 (ie post Falklands) and it was a truly daunting task to "take over" from him (as if anyone ever could!). His were such huge boots to fill, and although it was quite obvious that moving on from the squadron was like leaving his right arm behind, he nonetheless gave me great and selfless support both during and after the handover.

Goodness knows the world is now such a smaller place without him. However he's most surely left a legacy of people who are immeasurably better for both knowing him and - where we could - for striving to meet his own exacting standards.

RIP Tug, I'm proud to have known you. You've raised so many standards in your time - and a countless beers and smiles too!

Best regards

Nigel Smellie

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Email from Tug's daughter Clare:

Dear Geoff

I am Tug's daughter, Clare, and I am writing on behalf of my mother, Cylla, my children, Ella and Finn and my husband, John. We wanted to thank all of my Dad's colleagues who came to celebrate his life with us at his funeral on Friday, 9 March.

We were overwhelmed to see so many of his friends and colleagues and I know that my Dad would have been very humbled if he realised what an impact (mainly positive!) he had on so many people. Their sympathies and kind condolences were so very much appreciated and are helping us to steer through these very dark days.

Everybody was very generous in donating money in memory of my Dad, in lieu of flowers. Nearly £2,400 was given and we have donated the monies to the Commando Benevolence Fund, Help for Heroes and Father Joseph's mission in Sierra Leone.

Please could you thank everybody for us - we deeply appreicate all the kindness shown to our family at this difficult time.

Kind regards

Clare Harvey

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff,
Thank you for sharing this touching message from Major Wilson's daughter.

It is good to hear that three worthy causes have benefited from the donations received by the family, in lieu of flowers, and that the memory of Major Wilson will live on through the generosity of his family, friends and colleagues.

May He Rest in Peace.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger