commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2575710 Signalman Harry John JAMES, No5 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm looking for any information regarding:
2575710 Harry John JAMES, 4 Troop, No5 Cdo, who died, as a result of a bayonet wound, at Bridlington on 06 August 1940.
At the inquest, the Coroner found that it was an accidental death, and the Board of Inquiry, presided over by Capt Cairns, was closed after a second sitting on 14 Aug 1940.

Sgn. James' funeral was attended by Major Churchill, Capt Rees - Jones, Lt Passey and 4 Troop, he was buried in SLEDMERE (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD.

http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2414000/JAMES,%20HARRY%20JOHN

Here is another commando whose CWGC records do not show him as being a commando, so any information will help me to get him properly recognised as such.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

I've had a look through the notes I took from the 'Commando Casualties 1940-1945' document at the National Archives & I haven't listed Sgn James so either he doesn't appear on the document or I somehow missed him.

Did your information about him come from the War Diary?

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Julie,

Yes, I got the name and info from the No5 War Diaries, WO 218/5, July - Nov 1940.
I've already checked the Westminster Abbey RoH (which, as you know, is taken from the Commando Casualties document) but there's no mention there either...

This might be another tough one if the CWGC insists on two pieces of contemporary evidence but, once again, I'm hoping that they'll accept just the one - I'm still awaiting a reply on Pte Walters, No5 Cdo...

Thanks for looking,

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

An update on Signalman Harry James.

Despite providing the CWGC with three pages from the No5 Cdo War Diaries for 1940 which recorded his untimely death, the Court of Inquiry, the Inquest & his funeral (all attended by Officers & men of 4 Troop, No5 Cdo) the CWGC refused to accept that Signalman James was a commando.

As Geoff Murray was compiling the Roll of Honour for the Army Commando Memorial Wall, I passed the Harry's name and the relevant War Diaries to him and suggested that Harry should be added - Geoff readily accepted my evidence...

I'm pleased to say that since then, Graham Cooper has recently uncovered a nominal roll for No5 Commando at its formation in 1940 - Signalman Harry James is listed as serving in 4 Troop, No5 Cdo...

Thanks Geoff & Graham.

We Will Remember Them.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/03/2013 00:42:19

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

He's going to be remembered, alongside his fellow-Commandos. Brings a tear to the eye.

RIP Mr James ... and thank you.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger