commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
L/Cpl. F. Thrift, No2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Barbara Lewis wrote to me -

just re-read your message to me and noted the name L/Cpl F. Thrift amongst the names mentioned in No.2 which jogged a cell of grey matter in my brain and I have just dug out from my box of treasures a Services Diary of my fathers from 1941 as I remembered a name written with some other information on one of the back pages - namely - L/Cpl Thrift F. British Prisoner of War No. 18681. Marlag und Milag Nord, Germany. Are you able to cast any light?

Dear Barbara, Thank you for your message concerning L/Cpl. F. Thrift. This N.C.O. was a member of 3 Troop, No. 2 Cdommando who took part in the St. Nazaire operation March 28, 1942. As you point out, L/Cpl. Thrift was made a prisoner of war at the end of the battle. His part of the action is unknown to me because of the confusion both on land and in the river that so characterized this encounter.

It is probably fair to say that Corporal Thrift landed under the command of Capt. M.C. Burn, M.C., who was also made captive. His tenure as a P.O.W. precluded any further participation in No. 2 Commando's activities in the war, as did Capt. Burn's.

The connection between your Dad and the Corporal would seem to be as comrades in the ranks of No. 3 Troop and possibly friends. Your father would have certainly had no contact with L/Cpl. Thrift after March '42 for the remainder of the war.

Thank you once again for your memories of No. 2 Commando men. Sorry I do not have more information to offer.

Kindest regards,

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/02/2009 21:13:17

unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Thrift F. W.
Camp: 344
POW No. 18681
Rank: Fusilier (He would of lost the appointment of Lance Corporal upon being captured)
Army No, 6459241
Regiment: Royal Fusiliers
RO. No. 23

Burn M. C.
Camp: O7B
POW No. 18599
Peronal No. : 74087
Regiment: K.R.R.C

For futher details please consult the WO 344 document series at The National Archives for far more personal information.

? the date and place of capture;
? the camps and hospitals in which servicemen were imprisoned;
? any serious illnesses and medical treatment;
? interrogation after capture and details of bad treatment by the enemy;
? any escape attempts;
? sabotage by the PoWs of the enemy;
? any suspicions of other Allied prisoners collaborating with the enemy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/01/2008 10:27:54

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger