commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Troop of No.2 Commando on parade in Wellington Square, Ayr  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Gary Cootes sent me a very similar photo to one of John Emmerson's already in our No.2 Commando gallery. We originally had no location or information. I discovered it was in Ayr and I sent it off to Eric Buckmaster (2 Cdo 5tp) for confirmation. As usual Eric came back with some useful information which I have attached to the photo. However we are still looking for which troop it is, and whether it was before St Nazaire, or just after. The War Diary confirms No.2 being there at those times. Anyhow here's what Eric added about the photo:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/scan0142a.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/02/2012 00:08:32

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

The Ayr War Memorial and the 13th Earl of Eglington in more recent times.
[Thumb - ayr war memorial.png]
 Filename ayr war memorial.png [Disk] Download
 Description Ayr War Memorial
 Filesize 312 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  457 time(s)

[Thumb - william_statue.jpg]
 Filename william_statue.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 13th Earl of Eglington and Ayr War Memorial
 Filesize 654 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  481 time(s)

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have now sent Eric this photo which may well be the special occasion he mentions in his response. There also appears to be an officer front and rear. I had originally thought this was War Weapons Week Parade as we have another, but that was in Dumfries 1941, and I am not so sure now. Thank goodness he doesn't charge for all the help he's given me....

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+cdo+war+weapons+week+copy.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger