commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pat Coffey RN Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We've received an email from Jim Coffey looking for any information regarding his father Pat Coffey RN Cdo.
Jim is hoping that someone can fill in the gaps in Pat's service history.

Jim Coffey wrote:Dad volunteered For the Royal Navy in 7th June 39 and joined the COTSWOLD soon after. He left the ship when she struck a mine about 42.
He said she was a good and happy ship and he didn?t fancy being sent to another and in particularly didn?t want to end up in what he called ?Battlewagon?.
He?d heard about the call from Mountbatten and volunteered.

I have his Cert., of Service, JX 169568/co, which states he was at DRAKE 22nd April 42.

What I know of his stay in the Commando?s as follows

· Northern Ireland with American troops, apparently individual released from prisons

· Crew Hall, Cheshire

· Inverary

· North Africa via Durban

· Sicily, no other information.

He was known by Family as Pat Coffey, it wasn?t until his first roll call in the Navy that he found that he was christened James Patrick Coffey. Apparently as a newly born he was entrusted to local girls to get him christened. They were told to christen him Patrick but they called him James after a brother who was killed in the first war.

I have opened an album containing the photos of Pat and his RN Cdo colleagues, sent by Jim.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/rn+cdos/geoffmurray1/

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/02/2012 19:23:00

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger