commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The book - 'Commando Gallantry Awards of World War II' by George A. Brown, 1991  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A recent posting on our C.V.A. site seems to advocate this book as a reference work for those interested in the matter of Commando decorations and citations. I have recently, briefly, reviewed this publication and I now feel any potential reader should regard its given information with prudent, further investigation required concerning the many errors and omissions which are evident. Some of the author?s discrepancies I will explain in my small critique.

I am somewhat aware of the St. Nazaire operations for which eleven Military Cross awards were made to Commando officers. I find this book lists only four names. In this connection, missing names are: Lieut. G. Brett M.C., 12 Cdo.; Lieut. C. W. Purdon M.C., 12 Cdo.; Lieut. J.M. Roderick M.C., 2 Cdo.; Lieut. R.O. Swayne M.C., 1 Cdo.; Capt. A.F. Terry M.C. 2 Cdo.; Lieut. W.H. Watson M.C., 2 Cdo.; and Capt. R.K. Montgomery M.C., Attd. 2 Cdo. Also, at St. Nazaire, Capt. D.W. Roy, 2 Cdo., won a D.S.O. which is also not mentioned in the book.

Commando soldiers who won decorations and were subsequently killed in later Commando actions deserve special recognition. The author does not list several in this category. I sympathize with the relatives of Capt. J.A. Peebles M.C., 5 Cdo.; Capt. H.T. Kither M.C., 9 Cdo.; Capt. A.C. Pyman M.C., 6 Cdo.; Major B.D. Butler M.C., 3 Cdo.; Lieut. J.B. Houghton M.C., 2 Cdo.; and Sgt. H.S. Kingsbury M.M., 9 Cdo. This is a sad omission by the author.

On page 11 of his book the author notes that the Commandos earned 10 Victoria Crosses. As everyone agrees (except Mr. Brown), the total of this highest award was 8 V.C.?s. To back-up this spurious claim, the author includes the names of a padre and a Lt. Col. Of the Canadian army who had nothing to do with the Commandos at all ? they were never even attached to, or served with, the Commandos at any time.

Also on page 11, Mr. Brown gives his summary of awards to the Commandos as:

10 Victoria Crosses
32 D.S.O.s with 7 Bars
135 Military Crosses with 10 Bars
46 D.C.M.s
289 Military Medals

Mr. Brown?s figures do not agree with the tabulation of the same awards by Brig. Peter Young, D.S.O., M.C., a veteran Commando officer; Hilary St. George Saunders at Combined Operations H.Q. during the war; The Commando Association; and The Green Beret Association of the Royal Marines; who seem to agree to the summary of the awards as:

8 Victoria Crosses
37 D.S.O.s with 9 Bars
162 Military Crosses with 13 Bars
32 D.C.M.s
218 Military Medals

From my reading of the book it seems that Mr. Brown?s figures are too high on V.C.s, D.C.M.s and M.M.s because he has included awards made to soldiers who were never Commandos. His figures for the D.S.O. and M.C. are too low because he did not ? or his proof reader ? check sufficiently on the material which was in public domain. None of the officers and men listed in this critique who were omitted were involved in classified operations and thus, not published.

I find that Mr. Brown is catholic in his errors and does not confine them to army personnel. I checked on an acquaintance from Yugoslavian campaign days, Lieut. W.S. Jenkins of 43 Royal Marine Commando, and the book has his citation for an M.C. right there on page 148. The only problem being that Bill Jenkins was never awarded an M.C. ? he was, however, awarded a D.S.O., which is not mentioned.

I am far too old to give this book the checking that it really needs. I only wish that the author had employed the diligence level needed for the importance of his subject matter.
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

I assume people here will not take offence and you have made this post as a point of discussion open to debate?

I admit there are errors in this book, but to be honest it is a resource I would rather have than not.

When the book was published in 1991, the LG was not available online and there was no TNA web site. To cross reference hundreds of awards trawling through microfische would of taken any man a lifetime of research. Regimental journals and OCA listing these awards are still practically unobtainable. If anyone wanted to know about a WW2 Commando Gallantry award they wrote to the forerunner of this association.

Another problem with WW2 awards is that authors often become mixed up because of all the upgrading and more often than not the downgrading of awards. If I had a penny for every DCM downgraded to an MM! In the case of William Glyn Jenkins 43 Commando I would like to look at his gallantry card before I come to any conclusion as to what award he recieved, because of the point I have outlined above. Perhaps you knew him Bob? I did not so I wouldnt know! One has to put ones self in the position of the author.

From looking at the figures in the book there are actually a great deal of other awards missing e.g foriegn decorations and MID's many of which also have citations and are documented in official British records at the TNA. What I find upsetting is that these men have been forgotten from the book and as many here will know they were hard won awards.

HOWEVER if this work is upsetting to the veterans and their families then publication of the gallantry roll held by the previous Commando Association on this web site would set the record straight. That is indeed food for thought.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/01/2008 12:05:05

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Although it is unfortunate that some Commando names and awards were omitted from Mr Brown's book, most of these individuals now have an inividual paver laid in their memory beneath the CVA's Army Commando Memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum. They will be remembered!

If the Commando Association archives are eventually made available to the CVA, then we can make a definitive list and post it on this site.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/05/2009 12:05:31

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Thank you for the reply Geoff.

For those who have relatives who served with the Commandos and already have their relatives service records from the MOD is it possible to write to whoever owns the Commando Association archives to find additional information?
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I would certainly promote this idea and ask as many people to contact them for information, at the same time recommending that consideration be given to the archives being handed over to the CVA in order that they are not only cared for but also made available for all.

Contact Mr Ron Youngman via the address on the Commando Benvolent fund link below:

http://commandosbenevolentfund.org.uk/

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger