commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2 Commando photos  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
blewis
Forum Member

Thought these old photos might be of interest. If anyone is able to give any information as to where they may have been taken I would be very interested - or do you know any of the people pictured? The photo taken leaning against a bridge was taken in Beirut on 16.8.44
[Thumb - 2commando.jpg]
 Filename 2commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 998 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  483 time(s)

[Thumb - 2commando(b).jpg]
 Filename 2commando(b).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 256 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  446 time(s)

[Thumb - 2commando(a)_0006.jpg]
 Filename 2commando(a)_0006.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  431 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2008 15:08:55

blewis
Forum Member

More photos you may find interesting of No. 2 commando - possibly 3 troop
[Thumb - 2commando(a)_0005.jpg]
 Filename 2commando(a)_0005.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 210 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  406 time(s)

[Thumb - 2commando(a)_0002.jpg]
 Filename 2commando(a)_0002.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 278 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  431 time(s)

[Thumb - 2commando(a)_0001.jpg]
 Filename 2commando(a)_0001.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 259 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  441 time(s)

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great Photos !

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Barbara,
Great photos - obviously your computer skills are coming on in leaps and bounds so now you'll be able to post those photos in the No2 Cmdo album in the CVA Gallery... :wink:

Good luck,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Barbara,

Thank you so much for the six old photos that you put on the site. I find myself somewhat at a loss for comments on four of the pictures, but here is what I can offer regarding the troop photo of 3 Troop, 2 Cdo. dated August 1941.

The officer in the ?forage? cap in the front row is Lieut. Joe Houghton.

Others shown are Sgt. A. Maclean, Cpl. L. O?Downell, Cpl. V. Finch, Lieut. Mike Burn, Cpl. A. Woodiwiss, L/Sgt. Bob Davies, L/Cpl. J. Donaldson, Cpl. Bill Beardsall, L/Cpl. A. Howarth, Pte. J. Carroll, Pte. A. Elliot, Pte. J. Dickenson, Pte. A. Sherwin, Pte. Jack Jarvis, Pte. J. McDonald, Pte. H. Simpson, L/Cpl. Frank Thrift, Pte. G. Ewens, Pte. F. Gooch * now correctly identifed as Rfn. Frank GOODE, RUR attached to 3 troop No 2 Cdo, taken POW at St Nazaire...PR, and Pte. W. Mattison.

I am sorry that I cannot identify the others in the group, but at the time this photo was taken my troop was on its own in Lockerbie and the other troop formations were scattered in different locations.

Now, as for the other picture in which you describe the locale as Beirut 16.8.44, this mystifies me as on that date No. 2 Cdo was in Monopoli, Italy. Also, the soldier pictured is not wearing a green beret which was our headdress from Nov. 1942 onwards. His waist equipment belt was not white as all No. 2 men were required to wear and also, no black and white lanyard. I don?t think he was from No. 2.

Thank you so much for reviving some of the memories of old comrades. Your interest in No. 2 Commando is much valued, as was the service of your Dad.

Kindest personal regards,

Bob & Janet

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 11/06/2015 14:07:29

Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Barbara .... Great photos thanks a lot . I do not see my Dad in the #3 troop photo .A check of his release papers shows his entry into the military as Oct. 25,1940 RA/Field Suffolk . I am guessing that he was not assigned to #3 troop as of Aug 1st-41 but thanks again for the photo just the same.

In the shipboard photo the troops are all wearing tams as opposed to berets. Here is a link to a previous thread discussing this topic

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/50.page#199

Lindsay

blewis
Forum Member

Thanks Lindsay - have posted information I have onto the link you mentioned about Tams/berets which you may find useful.
Barbara
petitjean56
Forum Member

Dear Bob

Please, could you identify and to place the soldiers that you named Sgt. A. Maclean, Cpl. L. O?Downell, Cpl. V. Finch, Lieut. Mike Burn, Cpl. A. Woodiwiss, L/Sgt. Bob Davies, L/Cpl. J. Donaldson, Cpl. Bill Beardsall, L/Cpl. A. Howarth, Pte. J. Carroll, Pte. A. Elliot, Pte. J. Dickenson, Pte. A. Sherwin, Pte. Jack Jarvis, Pte. J. McDonald, Pte. H. Simpson, Pte. G. Ewens, Pte. F. Gooch * now correctly identifed as Rfn. Frank GOODE, RUR attached to 3 troop No 2 Cdo, taken POW at St Nazaire..PR, and Pte. W. Mattison on the document attached hereafter.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Bernard
 Filename nomstroop3b.DOC [Disk] Download
 Description Troop 3 N°2 Commando
 Filesize 132 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  485 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 11/06/2015 14:40:52

petitjean56
Forum Member

Dear Bob

It is very important for my researchs in Chariot Operation. Please could you answer to my request concerning the names (see my request dated 1:02:08) that you know on the photo of the troop3 of 2 commando.
See the document attached in my message of 1/02/08.

Thanking you in advance

Kind regards

Bernard
Fiona Hall
Forum Member

Hi there -

The very first photo of all the men includes my late Father Robert Kenyon Jackson - he is third from right on the top row - It was great to see this of him. Perhaps you would be kind enough to add his name to the list !! He was a Driver and I know he was in Italy in WW2 he was also a Para - unfortunately, he died on 24th April 1999.

Thank you for this photo

Fiona Hall

Fiona Hall

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger