commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Veterans' Weekend & Summer Service 2012, National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffs.  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The annual summer pilgrimage to the CVA Memorial at Alrewas (unveiled in July 2007 by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh) will take place over the weekend of SATURDAY 30 June, SUNDAY 1 July 2012.

There will be the usual Armed Forces Day events on the Saturday [but this year will also see the arrival of The Olympic Torch].

There will be a Commando Parade and short Service of Remembrance at the CVA Memorial on the Sunday at 10.00hrs

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 12/06/2013 01:10:28

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
liz reece
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My husband and I attended the Commandos' Summer Service for the very first time last year and were deeply moved. It was lovely to talk to some of the veterans and hear their stories. We attended the service in memory of my father John Arthur Morgan who was a member of No 3 Commando's and very proud of this. He attended many of the reunions at Warrington, London and Fort William.
I noticed that at the Sunday service you didn't have anyone to play 'The Last Post' and wondered if this would be the case this year! My 33 year old daughter is band master of the Burntwood Girls' and Boys' Brigade Band, and has played 'The last Post' and 'Reveille' for the last 20 years at our Local Youth Armistice Parade. She also played 'The Last Post' at my Dad's funeral, and the British Legion representative said that he had never heard it play so well. My daughter Debbie Wood would be honoured and thrilled if she could have the opportunity to play at this year's Summer Service. She knew just how much the Commando's meant to her Grandfather.
We look forward to seeing everyone again on Sunday 1st July.
Kind regards, Liz Reece
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Liz

Photos from previous gatherings at Alrewas available in the gallery.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/Alrewas/

Link here to a fine collection.

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

liz reece wrote:I noticed that at the Sunday service you didn't have anyone to play 'The Last Post' and wondered if this would be the case this year! My 33 year old daughter is band master of the Burntwood Girls' and Boys' Brigade Band, and has played 'The last Post' and 'Reveille' for the last 20 years at our Local Youth Armistice Parade. She also played 'The Last Post' at my Dad's funeral, and the British Legion representative said that he had never heard it play so well. My daughter Debbie Wood would be honoured and thrilled if she could have the opportunity to play at this year's Summer Service. She knew just how much the Commando's meant to her Grandfather.

hi Liz,
Thank you very much for your message.
I'm not sure of the arrangements for the CVA Summer Service regarding 'The Last Post' and so I have forwarded your message to Geoff Murray our National Secretary.
I'm sure that Geoff will get back to you in the near future.

Thanks again and I look forward to meeting up with you at Alrewas.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Returning home from Wales today, I braved the atrocious weather in the Midlands and did a quick detour to the NMA.

The idea was to weed between the paviors and make sure everything was spick & span for Saturday & Sunday - Armed Forces Day and the CVA Summer Service.

The paviors all looked clean and so I photographed all the newly laid ones and will post the photos in the Gallery so that they are accessable to those who cannot visit the NMA personally.

I gave the front of the Memorial a quick buff and cleaned off the bird droppings and cobwebs.

I did get a few odd looks from people as I clambered up the Memorial to reach the uppermost laurel leaves and I expected the Health & Safety Police to come rushing over but all I got was cheery waves from various members of staff and volunteers.

Hoping for good weather for the weekend.

Nick
[Thumb - 100_5929.JPG]
 Filename 100_5929.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 3918 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  488 time(s)

[Thumb - 100_5933.JPG]
 Filename 100_5933.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 3581 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  503 time(s)

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good job, Nick. Have a lovely weekend.

Love to all,

Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Well done Nick. The Memorial looks gleaming now. I am sorry I can't get there this year and I will keep my fingers crossed for everyone going that the rain stays away. I have created a new album for this year's photos commencing with the 2 above:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/Alrewas/alrewas+2012/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/06/2012 12:30:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Nice going Nick.

When we first put the memorial in place I aquired a cleaning kit from Anwick Forge specifically for the memorial.

The Knife is quite a problem. If you would like some of this kit to help keep the memorial up to scratch just let me know and I will get it to you. It may make the job easier in the future.

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John,

The cleaning kit would be good as I like to visit the NMA quite frequently and would like to make sure the Memorial looks well looked after.

The dagger, I just wiped with a dry cloth and it remains very shiney.

The laurel leaves were the biggest problem - they were very dull but have now developed a deep patina with a touch of verdigris and I didn't want to remove this and take it back to bright metal, so I just gave them a good buffing to bring out the shine.
The sun was in my favour when I took the photos - it makes them looker a lot shinier than they really are )

I can't tell you the number of times I stabbed myself on the tips of each leaf!

And the spiders must have trained at Achnacarry...

Pete & Janet,

Thanks for the comments and, of course, I'm sorry that neither of you will be there this weekend. I'll make sure there are plenty of photos as usual Janet...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good Week-end to everybody in Alrewas, I would like to be there with you.

Sincerely

stéphane
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Having just returned from the CVA Summer Service, I can say - without fear of contradiction - that it was a wonderful service and another fantastic opportunity to meet up with some very special old friends and make some lovely new friends.
It was especially good to be able to introduce a new CVA Member - Edward Redmond, 6 Troop, No5 Cdo - to Ron Lain and to find out that Edward remembered Gordon Lain, Ron's father.

By all accounts, the Commando Veterans Weekend gathering, on the Saturday, was a great success and enjoyed by all that attended.

I have uploaded some of the photos in the Gallery [note to self: don't take so many photos as it takes ages to sift through and upload etc]

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/Alrewas/alrewas+2012/

Nick
[Thumb - Alrewas 2012_resized13.JPG]
 Filename Alrewas 2012_resized13.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  496 time(s)

[Thumb - Alrewas 2012_resized30.JPG]
 Filename Alrewas 2012_resized30.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 151 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  472 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/07/2012 02:44:49

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I should also add a big thank you to Debbie Wood for playing The Last Post so beautifully.

liz reece wrote:
My 33 year old daughter is band master of the Burntwood Girls' and Boys' Brigade Band, and has played 'The Last Post' for the last 20 years at our Local Youth Armistice Parade. She also played 'The Last Post' at my Dad's funeral, and the British Legion representative said that he had never heard it play so well.
My daughter Debbie Wood would be honoured and thrilled if she could have the opportunity to play at this year's Summer Service. She knew just how much the Commando's meant to her Grandfather.

Liz's dad & Debbie's grandfather was John Morgan, No3 Cdo, who, I know, would have been very proud of Debbie yesterday.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
liz reece
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We really enjoyed being at the Summer Service for the second year running, and it was lovely to meet up with everyone again. Deb was thrilled to be able to play at the service and loved meeting everyone, especially the veterans.
JOHN W
Forum Member

Hi Nic. Thanks for some great photos.
We agree with you, Debbies pitch perfect Last Post was very moving.
Thankyou Debbie.
John and Jan white.
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks John, good to see you again - we must find time to chat one of these days.

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/07/2012 15:30:47

[Email]

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger