commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando War Diaries - How were they put together?  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

I`m about to spend a lot of money on The National Archives web site ordering Commando War dairies. All of which I will be sharing with every member on this forum. I want to research the smaller actions which arent mentioned in any of the books.

I`m finding it really difficult to understand how the officer who wrote the diary could write about a raid which he wasnt even on, on the day? Does this mean commando war diaries were compiled when the men returned from the raids and the officer when back and filled in the events?

I have seen many war diaries I just cannot fathom how a special forces war diary is put togther for a unit operating behind enemy lines, could someone please explain?

Thank you in advance.
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

A bit the bullet and I have to say the results were disappointing to say the least.

It would appear commando war diaries ARE NOT written in retropsect as I thought they might be. Bob is correct about those small scal raids very often they arent even mentioned. The only real clue a raid took place appears to be the citations for the gallantry awards.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

From memory most of the troop diarys in No4 had an person allocated to do the diary.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger