commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
23rd January  XML
Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Whilst remembering all the Commando Fallen, the 23rd January 1945 has some significance. Lance Corporal Henry Eric Harden VC, RAMC attached to 45RM Commando was killed in action on the 23rd January 1945. Recent photographs provided to us of his original grave, and those of some of his comrades who also died this week in the same area, can be found in this link to Nederweert War Cemetery and Mook War Cemetery, both in The Netherlands:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+graves+Holland/nederweert/

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+graves+Holland/mook/

And in the Far East

Corporals Robert Fleming, Peter Kirby, and Arthur Marshall; Lance Corporals Alfred Heath, Leonard Payne, and Leon Richardson; Marines John Ashworth, George Beach, Edward Bolam, Frank Lewis, Dennis McDonald, James Morrison, James Pinkney, Douglas Scott, Allan Sheather, and John Ternent

all of No. 44 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines, who died on the 23rd January 1945 and are Remembered with honour TAUKKYAN WAR CEMETERY

A year earlier on 23rd January 1944 Company Sergeant Major George Malcolm MM of 40RM Commando was killed in action and is remembered at Minturno Cemetery, Italy:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+Graves+Italy/minturno/malcolm+mm+40rm.jpg.html

We will remember them

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 22/01/2012 22:03:34

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ive just read Julia Harden's book on her father Eric Harden VC My Family's Story .What an excellent book it is .I first met her at the Unveiling and she was most interested in my father's story .A lovely ,warm hearted woman. Everyone should read her book

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen

I spoke with Julia recently and she is over there at the moment for services and events, and visiting the location where her father was first buried.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger