commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
WO(1) Tom Beardmore, 5 Troop, No9 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Of behalf of RSM Beardmore's son, I'm looking for any info/anecdotes on:
5048331 WO(I) Tom Beardmore, North Staffs Regt, No9 Commando.
KIA in Italy, 3rd Feb 1944

Thanks,

Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 13/02/2009 21:06:47

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Nick:

Subject: R.S.M. Thomas Beardmore, Mentioned in Dispatches, No. 9 Commando, Age 27, K.I.A. 3-2-44, Battle of Monte Faito, Italy

It is good of you to try and find remembrances of R.S.M. Beardmore on behalf of his son. I have little to offer as I never was in contact with his Dad, but maybe the following may help in a small way.

1. The scene of battle of the little known feature in Italy where the R.S.M. fell, is described and located on Ord. Map Ref. 858043, Italy 1:50,000, Sheet 160-II and also on Map Ref. Italy 1:25,000, Sheet 158.IV.SE. These maps may or may not be of interest.

2. I returned from Yugoslavia to Monopoli, Italy, at the end of June 1944 with No. 2 Cdo. In that same location was No. 9 Cdo. I remember that three officers of No. 9 had a conversation with me (along with others) concerning R.S.M. Beardmore. These officers were all in the action of Monte Faito. They were - Capt. Michael R. Allen M.C., who was the adjutant of No. 9, Capt. Leslie S. Callf, M.C., a troop commander, and Capt. Edward J. D'Arcy, M.C., who as the medical officer was most involved in dealing with the casualties at the battle scene. From the dim past, I do remember that R.S.M. Beardmore was the subject of laudatory remarks by all three officers.

3. Inasmuch as all three of the named No. 9 Cdo officers survived the war, if any could be located now they might be able to offer more information concerning the gallant R.S.M. At last 'sighting' they were all domiciled in the U.K. (1946).

Keep up the good work, Nick, your effort concerning Pte. Peach was magnificent. See you in November!

Regards to all the family,

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/01/2008 17:28:11

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob,
Many thanks for your kind words - praise indeed coming from one who has done so much for so many, both as a Commando and, more recently, as a champion for the cause.
If I can carry on ensuring that you and your brothers-in-arms, and what you all achieved, is not forgotten, then I'll will be satisfied.
Of course I cannot tell others about the bits about which I have no knowledge - I'm sure the story of Robert Bishop MC is ripe for the telling?

Come on Janet - time you applied the thumb screws :wink:

Kind regards,

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Nick:

You are a persistant (but lovable) character ! As I have said many times, I was a relatively unimportant member of No. 2 Commando. About ninety percent of my tenure in that unit was covered in the History that I wrote describing the wartime doings of No. 2.

The minor portion concerning my career of about ten percent is described in a rather boring abstract of my army records. I had these papers with me at Fort William. I will bring them back to that venue in November when you will be very welcome to peruse these dull documents and judge for yourself on the merits of 'the need to know' rule.

From a memorabilia standpoint, I have other formerly classified maps that I can also bring for you to keep - now these are really interesting stuff. For all this service my scrutiny fee will be one pint which is a bargain in these days of inflated charges.

Thank you for your interest of my ancient doings, Nick. We will have a good 'chin-wag' when we get together. Meanwhile, take care and think 'green'.

Bob & Janet

ps. perhaps this 'exchange' should be moved so as not to detract from more-deserving information on R.S.M. Thomas Beardmore.

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob,
I'll make it two pints :wink:
Okay, to spare your blushes I'll return to RSM Beardmore,

Thanks for the Grid Refs - his son, also called Tommy, tells me that, last year, armed with those co-ordinates, he visited the spot where his father fell .
But I will certainly pass on the other snippets and I'm sure he'll be very pleased to hear them.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger