commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Combined Ops Training Camps at Newtown, Inveraray  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Alex Kean has pointed out this link to photographs of the Combined Ops Training camp at Inveraray. The photos have copyright restrictions so cannot be placed in our galleries but can be downloaded for personal use :

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=151681&refer=L3NlYXJjaC9pbmRleC5waHA%2FJnBfbmFtZT1Bcmd5bGwmcF90eXBlPUNPVU5UWSZjYWNoZV9uYW1lPTExMWNvdW50eWFyZ3lsbDMmcGVyX3BhZ2U9NTAmaWRbXT0zJnBfZmlsdGVyPWludmVyYXJheQ%3D%3D

You will see in the photos Loch Fyne and Inveraray Castle. You can also look at the ordinance survey map on that site for more detail. Just a reminder of what Eric Buckmaster of 2 Cdo mentioned about a photograph we had of a No.2 Training Exercise in the area:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Firth+of+Clyde+1942.JPG.html

You may note Eric's comment "It's not too warm up there in November".

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 20/01/2012 20:53:29

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
barry wales
Forum Member

I appreciate its a bit late, but the castle featured in Downton Abbey on ITV on Christmas Day is Inverary Castle. My father, a member of No 12 commando, did his training there around 1940/1941. Opposite the main building is a large hill with a monument on top.My father told me that they were required to run up to the monument before breakfast each day.There was an excellent commando museum in the grounds, but this has now closed.

Barry Wales
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

After reading this, I must confess I watched the last half of Downton Abbey - it happened to be on - in order to see the castle, thats all

A small note on the castle's website.

Inveraray becomes chief training area for the Combined Operations

http://www.inveraray-castle.com/clan-campbell-timeline.html

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger