commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Wanted - Commando Daggers  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
bootiegreg
Forum Member

Folks,

I've been googling and seaching for places thatmay auction or sell FS daggers. I've found a few but its very limited. Is there anywhere I should be looking? I would love to own a 1st pattern dagger but doubt I could afford an original. I have a particular interest in the Wilkinson versions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Greg

Roy Shalbot has beautiful examples, be prepared to dig deep....
http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/Home.html

They are usuallly commonly found at any UK militaria fair. For a good First pattern though be prepared to spend £1-1.5k

First patterns are out of my league, but you can pick up nice 2nd patterns for a lot less

cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
bootiegreg
Forum Member

Amazing! Cheers Paul
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There's a third pattern going up for auction tomorrow. Lot number 1839 here:
http://www.bellmans.co.uk/Bellmans_CatalogueView.aspx?SaleID=93

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Regimentals usual has a good selection but are top price

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Treasure Bunker has a F/S fighting knife for £495

SE Donnison
[MSN]
bootiegreg
Forum Member

Fantastic, thanks lads :D
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Greg, be very, very carefull what and where you buy (because by now they are in great demand and there are many many forgeries), you could be stung and lose a lot of money (as mentioned a first patten will cost around £1200 and above, there are many good copies for about £250). Try the reputable sites as mentioned or go to a militaria show nearby, if It sounds too good to be true then be weary?
I collect commemorative Commando daggers what you see is what you get.
I had been looking for a long time for an RWF, WW1 De Walden short sword ( missed two one in Belgiun and one in the USA for around £1500 and above) eventually purchased a good copy for £80 so I won't be stung I know It's a copy so be It.
Again be aware.
Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/01/2012 19:41:45

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi I infeed recommend Roy Shadbolt site as referred by Paul , he is a very knowledgeable chap who I also know personally quite well who would never deceive people. There are quite a few sharks out there.

I am still saving for a 1st pattern :-))

cheers
JB
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

my son in law picked up a 1st pattern at a car boot ! winds me up with it. Its in bad condition but its still a 1st pattern grrrr

SE Donnison
[MSN]
bootiegreg
Forum Member

Brilliant advice lads, thank you. I have a rather horrific story....... I was explaining to my mate (who is a police officer) about my interest in FS Daggers. As I was showing him pictures of FS daggers his face went somewhat pale. When I asked him what was up, he explained that a woman had come in to the office a year or so ago explaining her Dad had died and she had found a knife within the house which she wanted disposed of. He is adamant that the knife he took possession of and had 'destroyed', was a genuine 1st pattern FS Dagger. So sad........
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I also heard that Idris Jones, no 1 commando, handed over his FS knive to the police in a knive amnesty. Wonder what they have done with it, melted or kept!!

Do you need a license in the UK to own these knives?

Cheers
JB
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

JB
Idris did indeed hand his knife in (The first time I ever met him, the knife and Commando scroll were together). He was unsure of the law, as to what happened to knife I know what I'd have done. I don't think you need a licence to keep any knife in your home, but if you carry It about on your person then matters change and you could spend a long time eating HM's porridge. If you buy a knife and want to transport It home, wrap It up well an put It in the boot of your car, try not to show "intent".

Knife Law
http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Marion Johnson showed me Frank's knife She was terrified of it. She whispered "he was supposed to have handed it in" All these years I think she'd been expecting the police to come round and feel his collar

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There's a first pattern in the Commando Museum at the Spean Bridge that was donated to the museum by the police after it was handed in in a knife amnesty. Not sure of the full story behind it

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger