commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Gerry Brereton  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

While researching my relation, Larry Stephens of 5 Commando's, post-War association with Tony Hancock, I came across a newspaper article about Hancock's Royal Variety Performance appearance in 1952. Also on the bill was Gerry Brereton who is described as "a blind singer who was unknown until he appeared on radio and television a month ago. He comes from Stockport and lost his sight while serving in a Commando raid in 1943"

Do any of you know anything more about Gerry Brereton please - who he served with & where he lost his sight?

Thanks,

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Julie,

You're far too young to remember but Gerry Brereton was a very popular singer. Prior to the war and loosing his sight he was also a very good footballer.

I've sent you a PM with a little info.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is a newspaper clipping that gives a little more info see "The Queen Likes Him"

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/2036800

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick.
The newspaper clipping is great!

His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just found mention of Gerry Brereton in another article which says that he lost his sight during a raid on Sicily in 1943 so I guess that would make him 3 Commando?

I've also come across an article about the comedian, actor and musician, Stan Stennett, which describes him nearly breaking his neck after a fall from Blackpool's North Pier Pavilion during a Commando exercise called 'Storming of the North Pier' in 1943. The Commando chief apparently ruled "this is a toughening course, not a softener" and so Stan had to convalesce in his billet near the Gas Works rather than returning home!

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I remember the Welsh comic, Stan Stennett, very well but I didn't know he'd been a Commando.
I'll look upon him in a new light from now on...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Victoria KingswoodBarrass
Forum Member

Hi, I am the eldest grandaughter of Gerry Brereton who sadly flew his wings a number of years ago. Every now and again I search his name on the internet to see what comes up, this time finding this thread.
I read with pride what you have said about him, and indeed he was a lovely man, wonderful Grandfather, fantastic singer and a great friend to all.
When growing up with my Grandfather, I know he was approached many times by the BBC about appearing on television, however being quite a private man, always declined.
Do you think there is any possibility of ever tracing the television program in the hope I might be able to see it?
It is always very interesting to learn what people know about him, I look forward to your comments and anything else anyone has to say about him.
Many thanks, Vicki :-)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/10/2013 11:39:58

Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Vicki,

It's great that you found this thread about your grandfather.

I've just sent you a private message.

Kind regards,

Julie

[WWW]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger