commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Castle Commando - BBC Documentary  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The BBC have been filming a documentary focusing on Achnacarry and it's part in wartime training.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-16317515

It screens on BBC2 Scotland 21:00hrs on Tuesday 31st January.

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just a little reminder about this programme due to be screened on BBC2 Scotland Tuesday 31st January 2012 at 9pm. Andy Twaddle from the BBC previously advised us of the following :

The BBC Scotland Commando doc is now scheduled for first transmission on 31st January 2012 at 9pm. This transmission will be Scotland only, we are hopeful a UK transmission will follow. I'll send you more details if and when. It's called "Castle Commando" - the same as Donald Gilchrist's book. For anyone interested, the programme should also be available on the iplayer. BBC2 Scotland also appears as channel 990 on the SKY system

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1859.page

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

being aired tomorrow on BBC2 Scotland at 21.00hrs.

Here's an information page to the hour long program written & directed by Andy Twaddle and narrated by Rory Bremner - there are two links here as a taster - Enjoy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bfl4x

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Please keep an eye on the Scotsman newspaper (if you can) who I have been helping with an article to compliment the program tomorrow. Inclusions from CVA members Eric Buckmaster (No 2 Cdo), Brian Woolnough (2 Bde Sigs), Douggie Neish (No 1 Cdo) and Daniel Houldsworth (No 4 Cdo).

Regards

Geoff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/02/2012 20:59:53

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/historic-sites/the_battle_station_tv_documentary_tells_the_story_of_achnacarry_castle_s_wartime_past_1_2086708

- Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

With regard to the Scotsman entry I see they have used a picture in our gallery of Achnacarry without crediting it to the CVA ! Geoff can you send a couple of the Veterans round to sort them out

I have received a few enquiries from people overseas about access to the programme. . The BBCi player now has a free downloadable application which permits viewing on an iPad and iPhone from many overseas countries including Europe, Australia and Canada. See this link below to hear more about it:

http://www.youtube.com/BBCiplayerglobal#p/c/EC9E40EB9047501C/0/FUyItQrCzPM

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/01/2012 12:55:34

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Further to Pete's link, here is another link to BBC iplayer that Janet has tried and it seems to work out in Canada!

http://www.watch-bbc-iplayer.com/
good luck,

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The Scotsman have now kindly offered to credit the photo appropriately on their website. As I took the photo it was of personal interest !!

[Email]
bootiegreg
Forum Member

Fabby. Well done BBC. Does anyone have the facility to put that to DVD for me?!
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wouldn't be so bad, but they haven't even spelt your name right Pete!!

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Liz Milne
Forum Member

Just to add - if anyone can get this on DVD or even audio I would be very interested - my dad Ted 'Dutch' Holland doesn't have access to a computer or iplayer, and being partially blind - and I know he would love to at least listen to the programme.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It was nice to see the BBC gave a credit to the CVA, and also to Eric Buckmaster who although not on the film I know spoke in detail to them. I thought the film was very good and gave a good insight to the training at Lochailort and Achnacarry. I particularly liked Jimmy Dunning's contribution and the fact that they blended/discussed the new training in relation to that of the Commandos nigh on 70 years ago. I am sure that the programme will be screened again for viewers in the rest of the UK but a few emails to them requesting that to happen might persuade them to do it.

As to the spelling of my name on the photo I took of Achnacarry House printed on The Scotsman website and in their newspaper. I can put up with that in the knowledge that Nick, me thinks, may be just a bit envious 8)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/02/2012 12:43:07

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just watched Castle Commando and thoroughly enjoyed it - well done Andy Twaddle.
I thought using using Rory Bremner's impressions as voice overs was a great idea [I particularly enjoyed Bremner's impression of Evelyn Waugh - whether it was accurate or not I don't know but he it made him sound exactly as I imagined he should ) ].

Great program.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,
Pete Rodgers wrote:
As to the spelling of my name on the photo I took of Achnacarry House printed on The Scotsman website and in their newspaper. I can put up with that in the knowledge that Nick, me thinks, may be just a bit envious 8)

hell no - I've had many photos published and credited in 'proper' newspapers and museums all over the world - and my name was always spelled correctly!

Good photo though - well done (he says in a patronising tone )

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I thoroughly enjoyed the music too which just so happened to be composed by the grandson of a member of training staff at Achnacarry...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-16317515

nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger