commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
3 troop No.2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
blewis
Forum Member

I am just beginning to research my late fathers military service with No.2 Commando and wondered if there was anyone out there who could help with information to get me going. I have service number and service record book. I understand that at some time he was batman to 'Dickie' Broome.
I would love to hear from anyone with relevant information.
Barbara Lewis
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Barb. We have sent you by private message, copies of our earlier emails to you in the event they went astray.

Attached is a photo of 3 Troop 2 Cdo, Gibralter, possibly March, 1943. The entire 3 Troop is present in this photo. Perhaps you can pick out your Dad, Enoch Sheard, we hope so.

All the best to you
[Thumb - gibralter 5,7,43.jpg]
 Filename gibralter 5,7,43.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 396 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  488 time(s)

blewis
Forum Member

Bob, Many thanks for your swift reply - I'm still reeling. Photo was great too and I was immediately able to pick out the rogue concerned,
I also have a photo of the whole 3 troop No2 but by the nature of the kit I think it was taken in warmer climes. I have now downloaded necessary search documents from MOD and feel I am on the way to finding out what one particular Commando did for his country - he spoke little of it when he was alive.
Many, many thanks for your help and encouragement. I.ll keep you posted if I can.
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

You are welcome - which one is your Dad?
blewis
Forum Member

Managed to enlarge photo on computer. My Dad is on the right hand side on the end of the front row!
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Barb- Welcome to the forums ,my Dad is also in this photo`. I have cropped the original to show you where he is . He is just to the left of the cannon with his shirt unbuttoned at the neck. . Which one is your Dad?
I would be very interested in any other photos of #3 troop which you might be willing to share.

If you search through the forums you will find the information you need to acquire your Dad's service records. It does take some time and there are fees involved but personally I found it well worth the effort

Good luck
Lindsay
[Thumb - gibralter 5,7,43     cropped.jpg]
 Filename gibralter 5,7,43 cropped.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  413 time(s)

blewis
Forum Member

Hi Lindsay,My Dad is on the end of the front row on the right hand side. Yes I do have photos - one of 3 troop and several others of various groups. I still have L plates on where computers are concerned but would be happy to post them on the forum if I only knew HOW.
Nice of you to get in touch
Barbara
JOHN W
Forum Member

Hi Blewis
Just noticed your photo of 3 troop. My Father was in 6 troop, but ive just seen one of his great friends Charlie Goff who is in the third row from top,second from the left . He is now a very fit 93 years old and i see him every couple of weeks. I will download yr pic and show him this weekend. He may have some info for you, though his memoory at times is a bit rusty. However, i will try my best and come back to you.
Rgds John White

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/07/2009 17:32:37

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Can I just say that this post is a perfect example of why this website was developed. It's absolutely fantastic to be able to bring families of those who served in the Commandos together to help and share in our great history. Keep chipping away and I hope you all find the info you are looking for, please don't forget to add any photos to the Gallery. Please also inform any wartime veterans that you may know or meet through your research that the CVA would love to hear from them.
Many kind regards.

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Fiona Hall
Forum Member

Hi there

My late Father Robert Kenyon Jackson (aka Bob/ Jacko) was also in 3rd Troop 2nd Commando and I would love to hear from anyone who may remember him !! He died in 1999 and was always relucant to talk about the War - I do have some photos and will post them on at a later stage

~Thank you

Fiona Hall

Fiona Hall

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger