commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Detail provided By Eric Buckmaster (5 troop) on a photo of No.2 Cdo. in our gallery  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

My thanks to Eric Buckmaster for sharing his memories relating to this photo posted in our gallery:

There is a Photo headed No 2 Boys on HMS Keren. This was an excercise that we went through in Nov. 1942. We embarked at Greenock on to one of the Island's Ferry's " Macbraynes of the Highlands ", and sailed among the Islands in the Mouth of the Clyde. We disembarked at " Tighnabruiach ". We then marched over the Hills to the bottom end of Loch Fyne, where boats picked us up and put us on Board HMS Keren.

Later that day we embarked on Landing Craft operated by Americans and were landed at the top end of Loch Fyne for a night Exercise. This was carried out. However, the American's came to collect us afterwards too late, and the tide ran out of the Loch and their Landing craft were stranded High and Dry.

It's not too warm up there in November, and we spent our time moving about trying to ignore the cold until daylight and the return of the tide. Some few managed to light small fires to try to keep warm. We finally got back to the Keren in time for breakfast, and some rest.

During the following night the weather was a little rough, and one of the Ships boats which had been tied alongside, broke loose and at High Tide was beached high on the rocks at the side of the Loch. Captain Dickie Broome and about a dozen of us were detailed off to go to help the sailors get their boat off the rocks and refloated. They were using baulks of timber and pulleys lashed around large nearby trees. but the keel of their boat was very firmly lodged in the rocks. From information printed on the side of the boat it weighed some 10 Tons.

My earlier RASC training came in useful. We made enquiries about the nearest Transport Unit , and Capt. Dickie Broome and I were shipped about a mile up the Loch and we borrowed 6 Jacks of the type that were used to lift the Army 5 Ton Trucks. With these properly placed we were able to get the boat lifted until the Keel was high enough to clear the rocks and the Baulks of timber could be placed under it. Much to my disappointment, we never did see the Boat finally refloated. Just at the crucial time, the Commando contingent were called back to the Keren in order to be shipped back to Ayr.

Sorry to have told you the tale of the old "Iron Pot ". My reason for mentioning the Keren Photo, is that the No 1 man in the Picture, Front row left is Joe Slater, and the No 3 Man is Ernie Hurst, both 5 Troop.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Firth+of+Clyde+1942.JPG.html

[Thumb - Firth of Clyde 1942.JPG]
 Filename Firth of Clyde 1942.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description No.2 Cdo on HMS Keren Nov. 1942
 Filesize 412 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  436 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/01/2012 15:23:58

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger