commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lance Corporal Norman Walter Cassey  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have just posted a photo of the original grave of the above Commando. On the CWGC database and the CVA Roll of Honour he is shown as No.1 Cdo. He was killed in action in France on the 11th June 1944 which means he is away from No.1 Commando at the time of his death. However in a list of details of plaques in the Area of Remembrance his name is shown and his unit is No.6 Commando which would make more sense. Has anyone any knowledge of him or suggestions, or would care to look into this matter in more detail?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/France+Cemeteries/RANVILLE+War+Cemetery/

In Memory of Lance Corporal NORMAN WALTER CASSEY
14649217, Royal Corps of Signals and No. 1, Commando
who died age 38 on 11 June 1944
Son of Walter and Annie Cassey; husband of Doris Mary Cassey, of Dartford, Kent.
Remembered with honour RANVILLE WAR CEMETERY

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Bill Harvey's list of memorial Plaques at Spean Bridge in 2008

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/618.page#2652

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,

Small excerpt from the 6 Commando war diary from that date reads:

0700-0715 - Approx 30 mortar shells land in our positions. Casualties:- 2 Dead (1 Intell Sect) 1 Wounded (1 Intell Section)

may be a clue, also I see that Lance Corporal Norman Walter Cassey's parent regiment was Royal Corps of Signals. If he was a Signalman it's quite possible he was attached to various Commandos through his service.

Regards Vic
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Vic

Thanks for that. I think I can see what has happened. On the Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour his unit is shown as 1 Brigade, Signals Troop. Previously known as the Special Service Brigade, the name changed to Commando Brigade late 1944. No.6 Cdo were part of that Brigade. That would fit in with John Emmerson's photo as he was Special Service Brigade HQ. I believe it is a simple mistake which I will bring to the attention of the CWGC for their records.

As regards the 2 that died from No.6 Commando on the same day:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/France+Cemeteries/RANVILLE+War+Cemetery/

Private 13051439 FREDERICK FLEISCHER
(who served under the alias of Frederick Fletcher)
1st Bn., Worcestershire Regiment and No. 6, Commando
who died on 11 June 1944

and

Private 3660649 WILLIAM LISTON
South Lancashire Regiment and No. 6 Commando
who died age 24 on 11 June 1944

Both Remembered with Honour alongside Lance Corporal Cassey at Ranville War Cemetery

Here is a link to the detail and photo we have of Private William Liston, Nos. 12 and 6 Commando:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/in+Remebrance/WilliamListoncopy.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/01/2012 14:06:30

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The CWGC have replied confirming they are changing the secondary unit for Lance Corporal Norman Walter Cassey from No.1 Commando to 1st Special Service Brigade

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger