commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2 Commando Photo?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I recently purchased the attached photo on Ebay, that looks like it could be 3 chaps from 2 Cdo. Written on the back in pencil is ?Commando Italy? and ?1522/11?, plus a printed stamp ?26E109?.

The fellow on the far right looks like he?s wearing a 2 Cdo OR cap badge, but its not totally clear, plus I?d expect to see 2 Cdo?s trade mark ?snow white? webbing and the lanyard worn.

Any info or opinions welcome!

Paul
[Thumb - img616.jpg]
 Filename img616.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 252 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  403 time(s)

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Definitely No.2 Commando and 5 troop:

On the left is (I think) Lionel Bowman kia at Salerno, the other two I am pretty certain are Harry Jacobs in the middle, and on the right Paddy Deighan. I will send it off to Eric and get him to check it out

Nice photo

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 21/12/2011 21:26:27

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That's great Pete

Glad it is confimed as Cdo to justify its high price!! Feel free to add to the gallery

cheers
Paul

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Looking at this picture:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/5+troop/5+Troop/5+Troop+gibralter+1943+negative.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I think you're spot on with the names :D

It really makes you think when you learn you're looking at a hero that was KIA

cheers
Paul

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

I have contacted Eric Buckmaster who served in 5 troop, along with my father and uncle, and he has confirmed the names as well. Thanks for providing the photo to us which is now in the 5 troop album:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/5+troop/img616+_1_.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Eric adds this about the three men:

Lionel Bowman, who came from the Wansted / Ilford Area and Paddy Deighan were Friends. Before being called up for the Army, and Joining 2 Commando, Lionel was employed by one of the National Newspapers. He was of Medium Height but quite sturdily Built. A very Positive man.

He was taken ill in Sicily ( As so many were ) and hospitalised, but he had recovered in time to be sent to catch up with us at Salerno.

In the nicest possible way Paddy Deighan was a Happy go Lucky Irishman who liked a Pint and Dog Racing.

Lionel rejoined 5 Troop part way through the action ( I was already a Casualty so I was not there ) but Paddy told me that a German sniper shot Lionel.

Post War I found myself at one stage working for a Large Timber Firm at Stratford, " Gliksten ", and Lionel's Brother in Law. was also working there. They knew about Paddy Deighan and were hoping that he would call to see them. However, Paddy who was quite a " gentle soul ", never got to see them. He did try on two or three occasions , but stopped to have a pint to bolster his Courage, and then felt that he was not fit to go.

He finished up in Australia, and had a Daughter out there. I am not sure if there were any other Children.

Harry Jacobs was a Small Jewish Lad who came from the Glasgow Area.

In Memory of Private 5956867 LIONEL GEORGE BOWMAN
Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment and No. 2 Commando
who died on 18 September 1943 aged 28.
Remembered with honour at SALERNO WAR CEMETERY

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 22/12/2011 01:09:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger