commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.12 Commando photo requiring confirmation  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi all

The following photo has been sent to me and I would like to know if anyone recognises people in it. I know two, Ted Fynn and Douglas Cotton Minchin. I know they both served together in 12 Cdo but want confirmation that this is indeed a troop photo from their time together in 12

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/12/dcm+7.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/12/2011 21:10:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
barry wales
Forum Member

Hello Pete,
The photo is D troop, No 12 Cdo taken at Southampton in July,1942. My father, Harry Wales, is in the second row from the back on the extreme left. He is wearing the head gear of the Border Regiment. They were billeted around Netley, and used a sports club for training. Possibly the building behind them.
Regards,
Barry Wales
barry wales
Forum Member

Hello All,
I have just realised that probably all the troops shown in the photo were involved in the Lofoten raid. Exactly 70 years ago today!
I do recall that one Boxing Day a few years ago we had a little snow, and father mentioned spending a Boxing Day in a place where their was a lot of snow, but he wouldn't elaborate. I only found out last year about the raid, and that turned out to be a bit spooky.
Regards,
Barry Wales

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/12/2011 01:24:53

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Barry thanks for the information about the photo and your father. I have updated the photo accordingly :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/12/dcm+7.jpg.html

I would imagine most of the men in this troop were involved in Anklet as almost 300 men from 12 Commando took part. If you have any other photos of your father from his Commando days, or any of his Commando comrades, and would like some placed in our photo galleries, please contact me by email.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger