commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Revamped IWM Collection Archives  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The IWM has upgraded its website, and its collection archives have been upgraded quite a bit too:

http://iwmcollections.org.uk/collections/search

Type in ?Commando? and you get 3880 results!! Filter ?Subject Period? to ?Second World War? and it goes down to 1622.

You can now download reasonable quality images for free, instead of the old grainy thumbnails you used to get with the option to part with a large some of money to see it in greater resolution! There appears to be many more images than previously available online, some I?ve certainly not seen before.

Well worth a look

Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. There are some excellent photos that have now been made freely available for use under the UK Government's new Open Licence. There are a few photos in our galleries posted in the early days which are not properly attributed and this has in the past led to some copyright issues/discussions. Over the next few months if I find identical photos within the IWM database that we also have (and which are not properly attributed on our site) I will replace them with the much higher resolution photos from the IWM and credit them appropriately. An example of the type of photo can be seen here. The photo we previously had was not in anyway as clear :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/Commando+Training/Assault+Landing+Craft+Training_+April42.jpg.html

The majority of our photos are of the individuals who were the Commandos and as such are properly attributed from family etc. It is generally quite obvious which photos it will apply to. I will also post some additional ones when found where the Commandos are clearly identified, or there is a possibility in the future of someone recognising them. This will be an ongoing project running alongside the excellent photos and information we are always receiving from Veterans, family, and friends

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/12/2011 12:09:33

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

This should keep you very busy for some time Pete!

Many thanks

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It certainly will. Still its good for keeping me busy in retirement being on a poor public sector pension :)

Many more very good interviews can be found by clicking on Paul's link above and below, then using the filters on the left. Search on Commando then click second world war and then under media click audio

http://iwmcollections.org.uk/collections/search

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 03/12/2011 12:26:27

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger