commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.2 Commando photos in Albania  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have added some photos and updated this album in our No.2 Commando Gallery. I have also added some detail concerning who might have actually taken some of them. Recently Paul Bell contacted me and sent some of Des Rochford's collection(No. 2 Cdo). I also knew that Walter Ainslie and indeed my uncle Ken McAllister (both No.2) had copies of the photos. Des had stated they were taken by Zvi Zvet (No.2 ). After a bit of checking I have found an entry in Charles Messengers book Middle East Commando describing Zvi Zvet, who went from No. 51 ME Commando to No.2 Commando as
"No.2's semi official photographer, taking a number of very spectacular photos, until unfortunately losing both his legs on a Teller mine in April 1945 during the fighting at Lake Commachio
The album can be seen here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Albania/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/11/2011 15:16:51

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete. We got some of these from Fred Mather (through Trevor), and I believe they said the HLI, who were with them in Albania, had a photographer. Maybe both ? Great photos!

Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Janet

Thanks for that. I am aware that a film unit had accompanied the Spilje landings and that is why I had not previously posted some of these. However their distribution years ago suggests that some may have come from other than official sources. Whilst normally I would be reluctant to post photos where we could not clearly establish ownership rights, I think an exception can be made with this set of photos as long as we are transparent about the facts.

The weather in Scotland is back to normal since we all left FW. Rain, rain and more rain, with some gale force winds as well. Commando Country indeed.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks, Pete.

I think we were all very lucky with the weather for our week in FW this year. Of course, first timers will think it is always like that. They will be in for a surprise next trip. )

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger