commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Rfn. Geoffrey Hill, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am looking for any information on Geoff Hill, No5 Commando and KRRC.

A unique feature of the Achnacarry basic Commando course was the introduction of the 'Me and My Pal' principle, whereby every new Commando trainee teamed up with another; together they faced the course and its rigours as a team, albeit a team of two. Many of these friendships forged at Achnacarry even continued after the War.

I have learnt today that Geoff was the 'Pal' of my father, Mick Collins and, if possible, I would like to meet up with Geoff.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/12/2011 12:59:15

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

How wonderful, Nick. Good luck !

Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just had a fantastic early Christmas present - I've just been speaking to Geoff Hill, my late father's Commando Pal.

I'm really chuffed and I can't thank Julie W enough for her part in this.

My plan now is to pop down to visit him in Wiltshire and have a good natter over a cuppa.

I have to admit I'd given up hope of ever meeting anyone who remembered my father but now I'm ever hopeful of finding some 'new' photos of him...

My message to everyone out there is never give up hope - you just don't know when something might turn up.

Thanks again Julie (told you I couldn't thank you enough!).

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This is such fantastic news Nick. I can?t stop smiling for you!

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

Hi Nick
As you know my father is also on this tape.When you meet Mr Hill would you be kind enough to ask him if he remembers anything else about my Dad. Many thanks. Elaine.

Elaine -proud daughter of CSM. John (Jack) C H Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane), No 1 Commando, 4 Troop and 1/5 Commando Burma
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Fantastic news Nick, please pass on our regards to Geoff and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I can't stop smiling either Julie,

Yes of course I'll ask him about Jack, Elaine.

Thanks Geoff, although he isn't a CVA member (yet) he says he has heard good things about us.

Nick :D

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/12/2011 23:58:57

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

isnt all this really fantastic

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yes this is all fantastic.

I have just been sent a photo of Geoff and my dad and their pal Sid Lynn, taken in India early 1944.
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Geoff_+Sid_Mick.jpg.html

All 3 were WIA at Maungdaw in Burma on 23 March 1944 when No5 were ambushed by Japanese as they went to the aid of a RA unit that had become bogged down.

No5 Commando suffered severe losses that day.

Sadly Sid Lynn subsequently died of wounds on 10 April 1944 and is Remembered with Honour in the Chittagong War Cemetery

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2180891

We Will Remember Them.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/12/2011 17:34:44

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wonderful Nick - Best Christmas present ever isn't it!

Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Janet,

As you know I've been waiting for something like this for so long...
There's so few photos of my dad - the only ones we know of are all in the Gallery - so I'm over the moon.

So, I know that there'll be more photos of Bob turning up soon.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Nick I am pleased you have made contact with Geoff. I know how pleased I was to discover Commandos like Bob Bishop and Eric Buckmaster who knew my father and uncle. How great to find a photo like that of your father, Geoff Hill and Sydney Lynn. I hope you find many more.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just thought I'd update you all as promised...

The other day I called in on new CVA member Geoff Hill and his wife Brenda, in their home in Warminster, Wilts.
I was more than a little apprehensive and had put off the visit for a while but, after a little 'gentle persuasion' from Julie Warren & Elaine Davies, I knuckled down and drove down to visit my late father's Commando Pal.

I didn't tell them I was calling but was greeted at the door with delight by Brenda, Geoff's lovely wife.
"Guess who's here Geoff," she called.
"Colin," came the immediate response from Geoff in the conservatory. [For as long as I can remember people have got my first name and my surname mixed up, but Geoff just knew that it was me...]

So there he was, my father's Commando Pal - a mischievous old rogue with a twinkle in his eye, often saying things to try and provoke a reaction...
Geoff was wearing a tattered old peaked cap and on it was the Kings Royal Rifle Corps badge (complete with the originally scarlet, now very faded, felt backing) - Geoff had met my father at the recruiting office and this was the very badge he'd been issued with when he'd joined up.

"I must have known you were coming to visit," he said.

We had a good chin wag with 'Bren' butting in occasionally to 'refresh' his memory and correct him on a couple of points.
He told me why he joined the Commandos...
He and his mates (presumably including my father) had sneaked off camp to go to the local pub. On their return to camp they were discovered trying to sneak in to camp through a hole in the fence by their Sgt.
Geoff did not like that particular SNCO and described him in no uncertain terms...
"Well I hit him," said Geoff, in a matter of fact way, "So that was it, they were going to Court Martial me."
"Anyway, this was the weekend and on the Monday I looked at the notice board for Part 1 & Part 2 Orders and there it was: 'Volunteers required for Special Duties - report to such & such at 07.00hrs' and on the other board: 'Rfn G Hill report to such & such at 08.00hrs'."
"Well you can't be in two places at once, so I volunteered for Special Duties..." said Geoff with a wicked grin.

On the IWM interview, Geoff had mentioned, along with my father, Sgt Jack Southworth, MM, No1 Cdo and now Jack's daughter, Elaine Davies was anxious that I asked Geoff if he remembered her dad.
Both Geoff & Bren remembered Jack very well as, in the 1950s, Jack and his family had stayed with Geoff & Bren, for Christmas, in a flat near Hampstead Heath. So Elaine had already met Geoff but was too young at the time to remember.

Geoff had many amusing anecdotes to tell about him and my father and I thoroughly enjoyed the short time I spent with these two lovely people and promised that I would call on them again in the near future.

Nick Collins
[Thumb - Geoff & Bren Hill, Warminster 2012.jpg]
 Filename Geoff & Bren Hill, Warminster 2012.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1934 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  382 time(s)

[Thumb - Geoff & Brenda Hill July 2012.jpg]
 Filename Geoff & Brenda Hill July 2012.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1968 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  378 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/07/2012 11:41:17

Nick Collins,

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Nick
I am so pleased that you have traced and spoken to Geoff. I know how I felt when I met and spoke to comrades of my father. And when the photos started appearing it was fantastic. To see your father peering back at you from history in a photo is quite an awseome experience. In fact it was these events that gave me the idea for this site and it seems to be working. The photo's we have collected here is proof positive of a persons' relations 'army time' and it is thrillling to discover them.

The history, the bringing together of people, personal discovery and being able to research for a unique reward. That is what it is all about and, you, through this site, have helped that happen for countless other people.

I hope you find many more photographs and more info on your dad.

regards

john M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks John,

I have to reiterate that the finding out about Geoff Hill and the meeting up with him is due to the fantastic research (and 'gentle persuasion') of Julie W. and I still can't thank her enough.
Something like this has got to give hope to the countless other folk out there that are desperate to find out a little information about their Commando relative - all I can say is don't give up looking, you never know what you may find.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger