commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Fort William and Spean Bridge Services and Events November 2011  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

What a lovely weekend it was, and with such fine weather. I have posted an album for this years events on this link. If you have any photos email them to me with details if known of those in them. I will post them in the gallery unless we already have similar ones of the same photo already .

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/spean-bridge-2007/2011/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/11/2011 18:43:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I agree with Pete that it was indeed a wonderful weekend.
It was fantastic to meet up with my old friends again and meet new friends, Julie W, Lindsay Miller and his brothers and sister from Canada and Bobby & Kevin Bishop from Florida - to mention but a few.

During the service at Fort William, whilst a little kitten played around the feet of Veterans and families, I witnessed a spectacular 'fly past' as a Golden Eagle circled like a majestic Lancaster bomber in the clear blue sky. Around this magnificent bird of prey flew a group of Hooded Crows, tiny in comparison, diving at it like angry Messerschmitt fighters.

The service at The Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge was as poignant and as moving as ever but I'm afraid I had to leave immediately afterwards so missed the ceremony of the Dedication of the Garden of Remembrance.

Once again the weekend was over far too quickly and I found that there was far too little time to spend time with everyone that I wanted to.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ria and I have just arrived home from a very special weekend in Fort William and Spean Bridge. When we arrived on Friday it didn't feel as if we and everbody else had been away for a year. The warm welcome by everyone made us feel as if we had been away for just a week! It was very good to meet good friends again. We have enjoyed every minute we spent with them and with you all. The Services in Fort William and Spean Bridge again made a huge impression on us. Especially the Service at the Commando Memorial should be held as it has always been held....

Thank you all for a weekend to remember!
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I had a truly magical weekend and it was lovely to meet you all & put faces to names at last. I?d been a bit apprehensive about travelling to Fort William on my own but everyone was so warm & welcoming ? thank you all for helping to make my time there so special.

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Julie,

Julie W wrote:I had a truly magical weekend and it was lovely to meet you all & put faces to names at last. I?d been a bit apprehensive about travelling to Fort William on my own but everyone was so warm & welcoming ? thank you all for helping to make my time there so special.

Julie

It was lovely to meet you, especially as you've been so helpful to me. Sorry I didn't see you up at the Memorial - I hope you enjoyed the Service. I did tell Andy Maines that you were looking out for him...

I hope your research goes well and look forward to reading the biography when it's finished. We'll see you again I hope?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick , it was a pleasure meeting you , Pete, Geoff and Di Edwards ,Stephen and Hazel and several others as brief as it was. I hope to return again someday and be able to spend more time with you all.
Special thanks to John White for sharing his fathers memories with us particularly be to able to hold his fathers fighting knife was something I won't soon forget. Turns out both of our Dads knew Ziv who took a lot of the pictures that are posted in the gallery
Due to time constraints we left the memorial before the garden was formally opened but it is a beautiful and fitting tribute to all Commandos

Well done everyone thanks again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/11/2011 22:14:33

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I forgot to mention that, despite Jenny's threats of the Ladies Protection Group
Jennifer Barlow wrote:Nick and Steve

Shame on you. Be afraid, be very afraid. Your untimely threats to throw Mrs Bishop in the air and into the loch will be thwarted. Perhaps you haven't realised that Janet has her own private army and protection force: Di Edwards, Bev Lain, Vera Bartholomew, Jan White, Philippa Tudor, Bernie Mewett, Ria Bakker and me, to name but a few. We are not the wives and daughters of Commandos for nothing and any attempt on Janet's precious person will be met with silent and deadly retribution and withdrawal of bacon sandwich privileges.

Don't turn your backs. See you soon.

Love from Jennie
Stephen and I used our telekinetic powers and threw Janet into the air - without even being in her vicinity.
Had she taken my advice and opted for the Loch instead of the road, she would have had a far softer landing...

Hope you're not too bruised and battered Janet...
Take care!

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Well, Nick, my protection group had abandoned me at the time. I am travelling home in technicolour.

It was great to see you regardless.

Love to all,

Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The photo album has now been updated with photos from Julie Warren, Nick and Jack Bakker

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Di Robinson
Forum Member

Hello All It was great to see everyone again, especially as I unfortunately had to miss the last 2 years!! Lovely weather, fabulous scenery, great company - couldn't ask for more. See you all next year

Di Robinson
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was just checking in with Bobby. He so rightly said 'the best thing about the whole weekend was the people'.

We all know that too, don't we :)

- Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Album now updated with further photos from Stephen Donnison:

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What a wonderful weekend. Coming after Holland and great support from the Dutch people and Dutch Commando where the welcome was so warm. Flushing would not be as well attended if it were not for the Dutch Commando grateful thanks to them. No4 Army Commando cannot get over now. It was good to see some of the Dutch Commando who had been in Flushing over at FW and Spean Bridge. Thanks to all the serving Commandos Army and RM who turned up to support at FW and Spean Bridge. Thanks to all the Commando family new and old who always make the weekend. Till we meet again next year. Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Album now updated with further photos from Jennie Barlow:

and LCA Restoration Project album also updated

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/events/LCA+project/

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What an amazing collection of photos we have this year. Well done and thanks to everyone who has sent them in.

To my shame, I failed to identify the Veteran who laid the CVA Wreath at Fort William Remembrance Parade.
Please can anyone help me out?
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/spean-bridge-2007/2011/Remembrance+201126.JPG.html

many thanks,

nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger