commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Tpr. Kenneth Chapman MM No.3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have been sent the following citation for Kenneth Harold Chapman MM by Mike Griffiths whose father was Trooper Arthur Griffiths, 3 Commando. I had put Mike in touch with Stan Scott and he likewise put Mike in touch with John Carney who was his dad?s troop sergeant. Mike adds the following " John Carney remembers Dad fondly as one of his Vickers gunners and recalled the landing on Sicily. My understanding is that my dad lost his knee-cap at Termoli in the German counter attack and his military records confirm him wounded by tank shell on 5th October 1943 after which he was invalided home via North Africa."

Mike additionally adds this in relation to Tpr. Chapman " I ?think? this citation could relate to my dad. He was blown up and came-to with his leg up his back so somehow he was brought back to medical attention. I have it in mind that once dad said that the chap who got him out got a medal. It?s circumstantial unless there is more information somewhere."

So if anyone has any information that might help confirm whether or not there is a definite link please post the details here

Citation for the award of the Military Medal

Chapman, KH, 5958297, Pte, Bed&Herts, No.3 Commando.MM (Immediate)

During the operations at Termoli between 3rd and 6th October 1943 in the second attack on D+2 a trooper of his Unit was badly wounded in the leg. Pte Chapman in the next weapon pit immediately went to his assistance although he was exposed to a fierce enfilade of a MMG. He applied a torniquet which involved kneeling in the open for a considerable time. He then reported the casualty and went to find a stretcher. Owing to the disorganisation he was unable to do this, but he returned with two medical orderlies. The wounded man was then carried back on a blanket, Chapman assisted. All this coming and going was done under intense machine gun and shell fire and Chapman showed disregard of danger in the highest tradition of the Commando. (LG.27.01.44)

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 31/12/2012 17:38:30

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger