commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Destruction of a German Battery by No 4 Commando - Dieppe  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I found this interesting facsimile document the other day covering No 4 Commando?s learnings from Dieppe:

http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/no_4_commando.htm

Apologies if you?ve seen it before! :shock:

Cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Now this is spooky - no other word to describe it. I am meeting Jack Bakker tomorrow who is over from Holland and he is bringing me a copy of this document issued to 10IA Commando. In fact I have been in touch with the Information Policy Advisor at the National Archives in preparation so as we can put it on our site. So all is prepared and there it is already for all to see.

Its been a 'spooky' period. Just this week I was contacted by the granddaughter of a Commando whose picture she had seen on our site seeking more information about her grandfather. Only the week before I had been sent some photos by someone else which included a POW photo taken in Germany and guess who was in one of those photos. Yes, it was her Grandfather. They have yet to see that but will soon

The final spooky thing is that, unbeknown to their family, my Father was her Grandfather's best man at his wedding.

Maybe its the time of year.

All will be uploaded to the galleries in due course unless ----------------

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2011 20:37:25

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Oops sorry! Spooky indeed!!

It will of course be better to have an official version in the gallery rather than a link to an external website.

I've also bought an original printed copy of the ABCA Dieppe Summary on ebay, which I can scan if appropriate. There's not a great deal of reference to Commandos, as it?s more from the Canadian perspective.

Cheers
Paul

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have a document on Dieppe too. Will bring a photocopy it up to the CVA meeting in Fort William. I am just back today from Holland were I met Jack Baaker. It is of the raid.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

As promised, copy of ?Dieppe Summary? attached for info

Cheers
Paul
 Filename Dieppe Summary.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description Army Bureau of Current Affairs WAR, No. 28 October 3rd 1942 Dieppe Summary
 Filesize 1474 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  421 time(s)

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

Thanks for this document which I have now included in our Letters, Documents ,Reports, Maps, and Certificates Gallery, alongside the copy we have for Salerno:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/

Pete R.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have also now posted the main report on the Destruction of the German Battery at Dieppe from the copy Jack Bakker provided:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/dieppe/

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger