commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Researching a WW2 Army Commando Prisoner of War?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

In the true spirit and geneorsity of this forum I would like to offer free look ups in the book Prisoners of War: British Army 1939-1945. This book only includes those men held in Euopean camps, sorry no prisoners of the Japanese.

This book cost me over £60.00, it is simply not cost effective to buy this book if you wish to look up only one man.

I am providing this as a FREE service to forum members.

Steve.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 26/03/2008 12:10:58

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Steve,

Thank you for you magnanimity, I'm sure it will be a great help to many people

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

It is also worth mentioning that research does not end with this book. At The National Archives the statements given by ex WW2 POW's are available. Some make very interesting reading especially if the POW in question decides to document his escape attempts!

The book is normally my first port of call before I send away to a private researcher to find the papers. In the past I have even had success with the name "Smith" thanks to an initial look up in the book!

Steve.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/12/2007 10:19:21

welchd1948
Forum Member

Could you please check your copy Prisoners of War British Army 1939-1945 for Frederick John Fletcher DOB 03.02.1910 Royal Artillery captured France or Belgium 1940. I'm trying to find his details for his daughter but the National Ex-Prisoner of War Association has failed to recognise his details.
I'd appreciate you help in this matter.

Dave Welch

Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Steve,

thank you for the offer. It is very much appreciated.

Harryj

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Steve,

Could you look up:

Name: J. W. P. Ellingford
Army Number: 2090929
Regiment: Royal Engineers
POW Number: 19766
Camp Number: XX-B.

He was/is my Late Mother's Brother

Regards
[WWW]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Steve,
does the book include Italian Camps?
If it does could you look up my father 2819656, John Orton, Seaforth Highlanders, attached L Detachment. He was taken Prisoner during Operation Squatter in November of 1941.
I have a record of his German Krieggie No. 267098, but know nothing about his time in the Italian Camps.
Kind regards,
Alan Orton
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Rick,

I am afraid the information you have there is what is listed. The only information additional information I have is Record office Number 9.

Alan,

John Orton
Seaforth Highlanders
Reg No. 2819656
Pow No. 267098
Camp 4A
Record Office 16
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Oh well not to worry thanks for looking anyway,
Regards,
Alan.
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Steve,
Thank you taking the time to look.
Regards
[WWW]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Alan,

Your relatives last camp is Stalag 4A which was near Dresden. Many of the POW's from Italian camps were moved by the Germans. In some cases camps guarded by Italians became un-manned and the prisoners escaped before the Germans could arrive.

http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/pow/stalag4a.html

To confirm exactly which Italian camp your relative was at you must consult the POW records at the National Archives. It is common for POW's to move camps. One of the most famous incidents of the war the Berlin Death March. Its a shame there has to my knowledge never been any TV made about that incident.

Hope this helps.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Sorry for the late reply, my dad was captured in the Middle East in November 41 and was on the Sebastiano Venier when it was torpedoed off the Greek coast in December and from a web site i was able to find out that the survivors were taken to Methoni in Greece. He was a tad unlucky though he was able to stay at liberty for a while after he'd got off the stricken boat and was eventually turned in by a Greek who he said got a reward for it, this was as my dad told me the equivalent of a tanner!
He did say that he was in three camps in Italy and escaped from them all only to be recaptured each time, once they went under the wire and the last time they just walked out as the guards had gone i expect that this was the time of the armistice, on this occasion they stayed free for some time and from what i can recall he said that they were picked up by some German Paratroopers who were on a anti partisan hunt. They had been warned by a friendly Italian who didn't know the word for Parachutist and gestered with his hand to try to show them what he meant shouting "Tedeschi! Tedeschi!" by the time they cottoned on it was too late and they were in the bag again.
He only spoke of German camps once and that was on the 50th anniversary of the bombing of Dresden where he said he was working on an Arbeits Kommando and was lucky to survive, they also had to help clear the damage up.
His service record shows that he was eventually repatriated to England in September of 1945. I was told by my brother that they spent the time from May to September walking around Czechoslovakia, and i clearly remember him saying that he and an American walked out of the camp just before the Russians came. We had a Xmas card off the American until the early 80's.
Anyway before i waffle on too much are the records available on line? If so do you know the Record No. as i've never been able to get my head round the N.A.
Regards,
Alan.
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Some would argue that being captured by the Russians was just as bad, despite what you see on the newsreels with all the hand shaking and smiles........British POW's were used as bargaining chips in trade for Russians who had joined the Germans. Once the trade had been complicated those Russians were shot. Many committed suicide whilst in British captivity.

I am afrad the POW records are not avilable for download. Your going to have to make a trip to the National Archives or hire a private researcher. I do have copies of some of these records from men I have been researching and they are very detailed. The British secret service was very concerned about any mis-treatment of prisoners. Very often escape attempts are listed in those documents. The soldiers filled in the forms themselves.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 17/10/2010 11:30:08

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Alan,

British PoW records are online but you'd have to join the website to view records.
As a quick check [but without joining] I did a quick search - it appears there are 2 records for J Orton (but it would seem not very detailed as they only show 1.5 stars) and I also searched J W P Ellingford and it seems a little more detailed record for him...

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1601

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Nick,

That database was compiled from the book I mentioned in my initial post. These are NOT the POW record sheets held at the National Archives.

Please read the source of the records on Ancestry:

British Army Prisoners of War, 1939-1945 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009.

If however anyone feels the need to double check my information for 12 pounds then that is fine.

For the Interrogation Questionnaires please consult this document:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/2jan2005.pdf

You will find all the Commandos POWs here as well as personal details and circumstances of capture. These records are not available for download ANYWHERE on the Internet......UNLESS you make physical contact with one of the researchers at the NA who will email the documents to you at a charge.

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at 17/10/2010 13:11:40

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger